Baby names - Time for another thread.

Carter- meaning is “one who transports goods”.

Condé - from Condé Montrose Nast -American magazine publisher. May be a local name from the town of Condé, in the French part of Hainault, which gave its name to a branch of the royal family of France, the Princes of Condé. Kundig or kundy, Dutch, signifies knowing, skillful, expert.
Obviously I realise there is an issue with having a name with an accent aigu- (that funny line over the top of the ‘e’).

Kayden- means ‘companion’.

All possible names for a baby boy due in October. Actually we do not yet know the sex of the baby.
Thoughts? Anyone…

Honestly?

Carter - Not a fan of medeival-profession-as-first-name trend. I don’t like Sawyer or Hunter etc. either. Least bad of the three.

Conde - If this is for a boy, I would call it cruel. If it is for a girl, she’d probably end up being called Candy or perhaps folks might think you named her after Condoleeza Rice.

Kayden - Another made-up name rhyming with Aiden. These are ubiquitous (Jaden, Braydon, Hayden, Grayden, Caiden, etc.) these days, and some of my least favorites.

To me, Kayden sounds like a girl’s name.

Carter - love it! Blame it on the cute carpenter dude.

Condé - sounds like a girl’s name. Maybe because, as an American, it strikes me as an alterverse spelling of Condie. (Even though I took French and know that’s not how it’s pronounced.)

Kayden - I like it, but it will definitely date your kid as an Aughts kid. But what do I care, I named my daughter Caileigh!

I think both Condé and Kayden sound like girls’ names. And I also get the “named after Condoleezza Rice” vibe from Condé.

Did not think I would have to explain this but…
Condé is said ‘CON DAY’
That is what that funny line over the top of the ‘e’ means.

Kayden is a form of Kaden. It is not a made-up name. It is a very old name

Please tell me -if you think they sound like girls’ names, what do you think of calling a baby girl Carter or Kayden or Condé ?

No offense intended, but all of these sound to me like “trendy” names that will not stand the test of time well.

I know how it is properly pronounced. You asked for opinions, so I gave mine.

I don’t think any of the three names are good for girls either. And whether or not Kayden is a very old name, it’s still one of many that rhyme with Aiden that are very trendy right now, at least in the US.

Carter is the only one I like.

I would like my child to have an unusual name without it being a source of teasing. A very difficult combination.

Condé is certainly not trendy. The others may be. But just because something is trendy does not mean it is bad.

That’s how I assumed Condé would be pronounced, and I thought “girl” too. Not that that’s an automatic turnoff, my name is equally common for both, and I like it anyway (though my spelling is obviously female). Either way, though, I just don’t really like Condé (the name. I’m sure that if you name your sprog that, I’d like him anyhow, not that you asked).

Kayden seems trendy and very Aughts, regardless of how old it is. I do kind of like it, even though interior "y"s are a bit irritating. I wouldn’t be able to guess sex from the name either way. I’m on the fence- I like it a bit more for a boy, less for a girl, not overmuch either way.

Carter is nice. I imagine it being said with a bit of a Bawlmer slur - “Caaaawtuh” for some reason and it’s cute. It also has a variety of nickname possibilities for once you get to know the kid himself- Terry, Car, Cart, Cart-man (not “Cartman” though!) etc. Also, “Carter” seems like he could be a Grandpa someday, which I can’t say for Kayden.

ETA- why add the “y” to “Kaden”?

Carter is decent.

Conde and Kayden = hideous.

There’s a Kayden in our family – hubby’s 17-year-old granddaughter gave the name to her baby boy in January.

I like Carter best of the three. Every kid’s name gets played with by his little friends, and there are probably worse teases than Carter the Farter, so go for it.

Have you considered any family names? Honor a grandparent, maybe?

I find Carter inoffensive. Doesn’t do it for me, but it seems ‘male’ and not excessively creative, although it’s part of the larger trend right now for last names as first names.

Conde (yes, I understand the pronunciation) rubs me the wrong way in a number of ways. My first two associations were with Conde Nast (snooty magazines) and Condoleeza Rice (not a big fan of either the names or the policies.) The Conde Nast association fits with the lower socioeconomic trend of naming your child for aspirational brand names like Lexus, which to me seems cheesy. I realize that Condoleeza Rice may not be as strong an association for you in Australia, but here in the US, she’s in the news all the time, at least now. (Ten years down the road the association probably won’t be as great.) It’s also very close to Candy, a very girly name, and doesn’t sound particularly male. Nobody in English-speaking countries will be able to type it properly; I am not sure how to put an accent over an e, and left it out. Naming for random place-names to which you have no particular connection is another thing that’s trendy at the moment, which may be appealing to you, but I don’t get it. (Why are you attracted to the name of a random village in France, a country on the other side of the world?) I don’t think it’s a good name for a child of either gender.

Even if Kayden has a history, it looks/sounds like the Aiden/Brayden/Jayden family that’s uber-popular right now, and will definitely date your child, the way you know that a Barbara is in her fifties or sixties nowadays. I have never heard of this as a traditional name, so it strikes me as a kr8tive spelling as well, something that always makes me pity the child of parents who wanted to force him/her to constantly correct the spelling of his/her name. Why do you prefer it to Kaden/Caidan? I don’t love the name group overall, but I would go with the most common spelling.

According to this website -“Kaden has 20 variant forms: Caden, Caidan, Caiden, Caidin, Caidon, Caydan, Cayden, Caydin, Caydon, Kadan, Kadin, Kadon, Kaidan, Kaiden, Kaidin, Kaidon, Kaydan, Kayden, Kaydin and Kaydon.”

I thought Kayden was the best of those.

Ks and Ys are very popular in name variations nowadays. People seem to like how they look, especially extra Y’s. I think some of the resulting names (e.g. Maddysyn) are absolute horrors, but that may be why you find the K+Y variation most appealing. As I said above, I would still go with the easiest to spell, most classical version of the name, not the one you think looks coolest. To me, that means a C rather than a K, although I could make arguments for most of the vowel combinations. I haven’t seen your source, but are you sure that Kaden is the original spelling of the name? It strikes me as a variation.

I know ten women with sons who are between the ages of 6 and 1.

Of those, three named their son Kaden or some variant thereof - from what I understand, the name has been insanely popular for the last few years. So, you have the plus of everyone knowing how to pronounce it and that most people will spell it correctly on the first or second try… on the other hand, you will also run the risk that your child will end up going to school with at least one or two of his namesakes.

(in my generation, there was an excess of Sarahs and Micheals, with the former being so common that I once ended up sharing a cabin at sleepover camp with four girls named Sarah/Sara… that was interesting, to say the least)

The etymologies are nice, but I wouldn’t name my kids any of those names.

Carter is the least objectionable but it’s one of those “last names used as first names” names, a trend that has always struck me as silly. I don’t think it works as a first name.

Kayden is cutesy and trendy and gender-ambiguous. Plus as you’ve shown, there’s about 20 different ways to spell it, so despite how nice you think that particular spelling is, chances are few people will get it right. Your kid will eternally be spelling his name out.

I wouldn’t name my kid Condé for the reason I wouldn’t want a kid named after a magazine. I don’t think it works as a first name either.

Lots of places will not put the accent on the ‘e’. I speak from experience on this. I hope you won’t pick this name, so as to avoid extra confusion/spelling issues/paperwork mixups/etc. for your child.

Kayden - the website you linked lists it as a “Modern” name, so I’m not sure when its origin is supposed to be from.

Not really a fan of any of them, but Carter is the best of the bunch IMO.