Baby shower ideas! Wheeee!!!!

One fun (and relatively painless for all concerned) thing that was done at a baby shower I attended was that the hostess had a skein of yarn and a pair of scissors, and she asked every guest as h/she walked through the door to cut off a length of yarn – as much or as little as they liked. At the end of the shower, a prize was awarded to the person whose length of yarn came the closest to going around the mom-to-be’s bulging tummy.

I dunno, freckafree. That one’s kind of a minefield. If the mother is happy with the changes in her body and a good sport, it could work, but if the expectant mother is already feeling huge and unattractive, I could see her feelings getting hurt by that.

Please, please, please tell me you’re joking, or that I’m being whooshed or something. Raffle? A television?

No joke. Upon reflection, another co-host and I are planning a palace coup. (Shhh!!) If I’d made it home from work earlier, I was to call the hostess and talk her out of the raffle idea (which, based upon my informal poll, is considered 100% tacky [margin of error zero]). If that doesn’t work, I will throw caution to the winds and assert independence by throwing a counter-shower. (I know – I really need to get a hobby.)

By the way, Eureka, your bingo idea was universally loved. So my goal either is to derail the raffle and do bingo instead, or to do bingo at my counter-shower.

If I didn’t love my sister…