Back-words

A “back-word” is a word that is still a word, when spelled backwards. (For example: pool/loop)

Eliminating the obvious palindromes, what other (English) words are there?

And when we’re done with the English words, what about other languages?

devil/lived

And along with that, evil/live

rat/tar
dog/god
door/rood
lime/Emil
was/saw
no/on
golf/flog
tap/pat
yard/dray
seat/teas

thought of some more:

pan/nap
room/moor
leek/keel

Evil/Live

Serutan/Nature’s

Bonus points for Bored of the Rings reference.

laid/dial
toom/moot
may/yam
ten/net
revel/lever
ink/kin
pay/yap
loot/tool
strap/parts

These may be a stretch:
epon/nope
Eton/note

pots/stop
top/pot
time/emit

abut      gas       pal       tab       
aha       gig       pap       tar       
are       gob       par       ten       
bard      gum       pay       tin       
bat       gut       peek      tit       
bib       huh       peep      toot      
bog       keep      pep       top       
boob      kook      pool      tot       
brag      lag       poop      tuba      
cod       lap       pop       tug       
dam       leer      pot       won       
deer      loop      pup       yam       
did       looter    radar     yap       
dim       mad       ram       
doc       mar       rap       
drab      may       rat       
drawer    mid       reed      
dud       mom       reel      
era       moor      refer     
ere       mug       retool    
eve       net       reward    
eye       nit       room      
gag       nos       sag       
gal       now       sis       
garb      nun       son       

EVIAN (brand of bottled water)…it’s said that you are NAIVE to buy water

Also, BOB and BOB :slight_smile:

dog/god

desserts/stressed

Years ago, I saw someone in an article suggest “drow” for such a word. It appears to have never caught on, pity.

I don’t know that one, but they likely stole it from Doon, which featured excerpts from the writings of “Pricess Serutan”, Paul’s eventual wife.

rot/tor
rats/star
guns/snug
gut/tug
dam/mad
edam/made
era/are
deer/reed
nod/don
on/no

Inspired by the thread next to this one: warts/straw

How is this possible?

I believe Bored of the Rings was first published in 1969 and Doon came out some fifteen years later.

Palindromic pairs are particularly common in English because of its many reversible (common) letter pairs. However, Japanese palindromic pairs are even more common because they utilize a syllabylary instead of an alphabet (almost every character in the phonetic “hiragana” or foreign phonetic “katakana” letter sets represents a syllable, not a sound, so there are few “impossible (or awkward) combinations”) making very long palindromes unusually common.

In the Chinese languages I’ve toyed with, the structure of the language makes spoken palindromes almost trivial, and only the choicest are worth noting at all. For example “I love Mom; Mom loves me” is often the first palindrome learned by a Chinese child, and other names are easily inserted for “Mom”.

I really ought to be able to think of some substantial palindromes in German, but I’m drawing a blank. it has far more letter pairs that can’t readily be reversed than English does, and the easy ones like “Otto” seem even more trivial because it has a substantially higher average word length (due to compounding) than English.

Of the other languages I speak or have studied, I’m ashamed to say if they had much interest in palindromes, I don’t recall learning about it. Medieval Latin does have a history of semi-mystical palindromic concoction. I’m sure the Kabbalists did a lot with Hebrew, but I’m really not qualified to comment on the Kabbalah.

I never thought about it, but palindromes [and presumably palindromic pairs] seem to be a far more common wordplay in English than most other languages. Though every language does have its favorite examples, I can think of more significant palindromic DNA sequences than I can significant German palindromes.

Hey, I haven’t felt like an idiot in over an hour. Anyone want to step up with long, clever German examples to put me in my deservedly feces-laden place?

Uh, time travel?
Okay, you got me. Shut up.

Down at the bottom of this page of palindromes is a list of the longer reversals in English. It doesn’t have any four-letter or shorter ones, such as

plug - gulp
ergo - ogre
flow - wolf
able - Elba