Bad mojo = Great album.

I was listening to Rumours at work today. It would be on of the very few “I love every song on this CD” type albums if it weren’t for Oh Daddy (which kinda skeeved me at 12 and my feelings haven’t changed much since). This leads me to my hypothesis: Bad Band Mojo helps make a great album.

Just in case there is anyone who doesn’t know, everybody in the band was in the middle of breaking up with everybody else in the band during the creation of this album. Bad mojo— one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

I wanna know of some albums that were made during a band’s darkest moments-- and if these albums were really good.

Tiamat’s Clouds was written while everyone in the band hated each other, and it’s a damn good album. So there’s another datapoint in your favor.

Not the worst hypothesis I’ve seen. That sort of emotional turmoil frequently brings out expression in a band that is normally hidden.

I’d nominate Southern Accents by Tom Petty, myself. Petty’s most experimental album (southern band with sitar! That’s wacky!) and at one point Petty was so disgusted with the whole thing that he put his fist through a wall and the whole project had to be shelved because there was fear he’d lose the ability to play.

But a great album. Truly great.

And such a list must include Shoot Out the Lights by Richard and Linda Thompson. The recording of the album concluded with their separation and eventual divorce.

Certainly The White Album is where the Beatles were really starting to irritate each other.

Certainly The White Album is where the Beatles were really starting to irritate each other.

Nice theory. Occasionaly true, although I think there are (naturally) some limits after which a band/a performer simply isn’t capable of delivering anything they’re so deep in poop, but of course a little inner turbulence is good to get the soul moving.

“Yes” example: Sting’s “Soul Cages”. Both his parents died in a very short period of time before he recorded this album. It’s one of his best pieces up to date.

“No” example: Peter Gabriel’s “Up”. Things couldn’t be better for Peter in the last 7-8 years, successful projects (millenium show), new love, a baby-boy born, and still “Up” is the best thing since sliced bread.
[Hi Moody :)]

The Police were infamous for band infighting that often degenerated into physical brawls. They were arguably at their creative and popular peak with the album Synchronicity when they finally decided to call it quits. It was either that or kill each other.

I’ll never forget watching a TV interview with the band behind the scenes at one of their Toronto “Police Picnic” Concerts in the early '80’s when, out of nowhere, Stewart Copeland threw his drink right into Sting’s face. Sting then chased him out of the frame with a a look of murderous rage on his face. Priceless.

The Allman Bros. Band is a real good example of this:
“Live” is a good album. Duane Allman is killed and “Eat A Peach” is a very good album. Bass player is killed and “Brothers & Sisters” is a great album.

Harlin Ellison: “No art without Pain.”

Spirit’s Twelve Dreams of Dr. Sardonicus was actually released after the group broke up – they quit in the middle of the sessions. It was a masterpiece, though.