Bad movies with one great performance

Martin Landau’s character in Ed Wood.

Forrest Whittaker as a “meek” pool shark in The Colour of Money.

How about bad movies with one great scene: Steve Martin’s mouth-challenged rant at an airport rent-a-car worker in Trains, Planes and Automobiles.

The title sequences: The Pink Panther (1963) title sequence - YouTube

However, i didnt care for Sellers in those films.

Oddly, the Pink Panther joins the Thin Man series as sequels who dont have the Object in them.

The “Thin Man” being “Mr Boddy” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: who of course didnt show up in any of the sequels, and the Pink Panther being a jewel.

Any others like this?

Well, it’s like Frankenstein. The public confused the doctor with his creation, and sequel makers didn’t try to disabuse anyone of this notion; it just became the brand.

(Incidentally, the monster’s full name was Frankenstein Smonster.)

Herbert Lom was a good actor, and when he got to play the bad guy in Pink Panther Strikes Again he was really funny.

One of the best moments in that movie is about halfway through when Marguerite wanders into her husband’s study late at night, uneasy because he’s suddenly left without warning. She stands there, looking around, and her gaze falls on the ornamentation on the wall, and there are scarlet pimpernels everywhere, and as the light dawns on her about her husband’s double life the soundtrack swells into the main theme. And it’s utterly glorious, a magic movie moment if ever there was one.

A lot of people like it, but I thought Murder by Death was a pretty bad movie and almost entirely empty of laughs.

Truman Capote is great and memorable in it, though. For the less than 10 minutes he’s on screen, anyway.

According to the author, the monsters name was Adam.

Wait, Frankenstein’s name is Adam? Now that’s just silly.

No, Frankenstein’s name was Victor. His creation’s name was Adam.

I’ve been trying to decide if Burt Kwouk is a comic genius.

I thought Maggie Smith stole the movie.

You are confused here. The guy who created Adam was named God. And how could Frankenstein be named Victor if his name is Frankenstein? You might be thinking of the actor, Victor Price, lots of people make that mistake.

Mary Shelley never did name the creature. But I note that people were calling the monster “Frankenstein” from the time it was first dramatized in the 1820s.

A lot of names were suggested for the creature – Prometheus (probably because of the book’s subtitle), Adam (since he was the first human created by a man), but I’ve read the book numerous times, and don’t recall the author giving him a name. He’s invariably referred to by epithet, one of the most common being “the wretch”.

Kenneth Brannagh nearly singlehandedly saved Wild, Wild West. He actually succeeds in being just campy and cartoony enough to be a proper villain.

Well… his character and the fact that for a brief period of about 20 years Salma Hayek could be on screen reading the phonebook and I’d probably find it enjoyable.

More like 25… and counting. (Desperado was in 1995).

I self-identify as 1995 not being 25 years ago. In my mind it’s like 12, 14 tops. If you disagree, I’m offended.

(That’s how that works, isn’t it?)

Oh, no… wasn’t about you! I was more pointing out that Salma Hayek didn’t stop being gorgeous five years ago!

She did in the play version she wrote. But not in the book.

From Wikipedia:

So that’s the closest we get.

BTW, I did like Wild Wild West more than it really deserved, in large part because of the chemistry between Smith and Branagh. I didn’t even mind the spider, although the flying sawblade thing was exceptionally stupid even for that film.

Mary Shelley never wrote a dramatic version of Frankenstein.

Lots of other people did, however, in the decade following its publication (and there were lots of bootleg and badly-written ripoffs) in the same time. Those plays suggested “Adam”, and other names for the creature.