[QUOTE=H3Knuckles]
Game on rails? Oh, you mean like all the other (action, as opposed to tactical) first-person shooters? And your complaint is that it isn’t open-ended or a sandbox title like GTA or something? I don’t really recall the first Half-Life being any different. I can’t even imagine where you would have gotten the expectation for something else. I think Half-Life 2 had every right to focus on a compelling experience and narrative rather than letting players freely explore a wide-open environment.
I liked the buggy level at first, but I will admit that it drags on way too long. But frankly, you’re missing a lot of the best parts of a truly amazing game by bailing out so early on.
[/QUOTE]
Cool out, sport. I never played the first Half Life, and all I really knew about the HL2 was that it was the GREATEST GAME EVAR. I had played enough FPS games that, at the time, I was completely put off by the limited pathing typically found in them, and I had hoped that maybe HL2 would be a little different. Instead, it seemed like the same-ol’-same-ol’ (with perhaps better graphics.) I’ll admit that I was pretty wowed the first time I was attacked by the minigun-sporting 'copter, but after that, it was strictly Yawnville. It never seemed to me to be substantively better than Red Faction, and I had already played that years before…plus, RF had destroyable environments. Cool!
Add to that that there was a physical association with the game. Namely, I was desperately ill when I bought it, I had taken off several days at work, and I tried to play it while immensely doped up and terribly nauseated.
I tried to get past the buggy level a time or two after that, but like a pukey association with a bad ham sandwich, every time I tried, I felt my gorge rise.
Also, just to weigh in on game design, there is a very warm, cozy, happy place between optionless pathing and wide-open sandbox gaming (GTA never appealed to me either.) That place was exemplified by a little gaming experience I like to call Deus Ex. In my opinion, no other game has ever matched it in terms of ridiculously smart level design. Sure, you had a mission, and you needed to end up at a particular place, but how you got there was entirely up to you. Straight-ahead assault? Sure. Pure stealth? Can do. Any combination of the two? Yup, anything will work. I truly thought that it would revolutionize the way FPS’s were designed, but developers seem to have systematically ignored every intelligent thing DE brought to the table (and I’m certainly not excepting the designers of DE themselves - Deus Ex 2 was an unplayable abortion.)
I doubt I will ever be satisfied by an FPS until I play one with a fraction of the thought and design put into DE. I’m ruined, and have been ever since I downloaded the demo for DE and was blown completely away by that Liberty Island map. The idea of trudging through an action movie whose every scene, twist, and turn are entirely prescripted simply does not appeal anymore.
So, maybe someday I’ll try to finish HL2. Maybe.