Bambi and classic films -Motion picture rating system

Was showing Bambi to my very young children the other day. It has some pretty scary stuff for small children. I read somewhere once about they were classifying old movies by today’s Motion picture rating system and many old movies which are officially ‘G’ were re-rated. Anyone know where I can find this? Bambi would certainly get a ‘PG’.

Kids back then weren’t wimps.

Well, with Bambi, there’s no need to speculate, because the film was re-released many times in the theaters, including after the MPAA rating system came out.

According to the IMDB, it was rated G in these re-releases.

I’ll say. You know what that boy in Old Yeller had to do himself?

Well there was no pussification style of parenting, unlike today.

My dad still remembers being traumatized by Bambi, and that was 68 years ago. (He would have been five at the time.) I don’t think he was a wimp either.

Wasn’t there a cartoon about this … maybe Animaniacs? … where the mother had to take her hysterical kid to go meet the cartoon deer who played Bambi’s mother, just to show it was just a movie.

In general, films released under the Motion Picture Production Code prior to the MPAA ratings were set up are rated G. The Hays Office was much too strict to let anything get past it that wasn’t G.

Yep. IIRC, it was Slappy Squirrel. She had to calm Skippy.

Hello- I read somewhere once about they were classifying old movies by today’s Motion picture rating system and many old movies which are officially ‘G’ were re-rated. Anyone know where I can find this?

Just don’t read them the original book “Bambi: A Life in the Forest.”

I had a nightmare about that at age 38.

Only three months from deer season…

No, you’re thinking of Bambi Meets Godzilla.

Is there a reason that you’re repeating yourself?

Maybe it has something to do with the username?

I’m not so sure kids today are totally wimpy.

Not as much, but it existed. Have you read the opening to the Voyage of the Dawn Treader? It describes some pretty wimpy parents and was written in the early 1950’s.
My wife and I recently saw The Princess and the Frog. We thought it got a bit freaky for kids and it’s new.

I also think Spirited Away, a relatively recent movie, is quite intense at parts.

Recently watched the original version of The Italian Job (1969). Lots of shooting, cars going over cliffs in flames, women in lingerie, implicit kinky sex. Still bears a G rating!

Yes. And parents tended not to be overprotective namby-pamby assholes, either.

Touche.

Actually, all the kids I knew could tell that a cartoon wasn’t real life!
I guess we all must have just been smarter than the average, or something.

Exactly.

Honestly, I really think that nowadays, nine times out of ten, when parents have kids they must excise their balls (eggs, in the ladies’ case) and fucking incinerate those fuckers, never to be seen or heard from again.

That’s right: Parents today have no balls. Much to the detriment of both their kids and society at large.

That’s a foreign film. Their animation has much different standards…