Banana stems

Okay, Wikipedia has articles on everything.

Article on the banana plague: Panama disease - Wikipedia

I don’t grow the type of banana that you have in your supermarket. Supermarkets in the US carry Cavendish bananas brought in from places like Ecuador. Like almost all the fruits and vegetables in the supermarket, taste takes a back seat to things like shelf life and the ability to stand up to the riggers of transporting them from the grower to the market.

Apple bananas are popular in Hawaii. They taste quite a bit different than Cavendish. They really aren’t my favorite. Williams bananas are the best. I grow these and several other types.

Stems all seem the same as they have always been.

There is a link up thread that mentions the real solution to tough stems. Simply open the other end. Somewhere I read that someone noticed that monkeys will always open a banana by simply pinching the end opposite the stem and peeling the skin back.

I’ve tried it and it really is a ridiculously easy way to do it…

You’re doing it wrong!

Great username / post combo!

I spent many childhood summers in Tenerife (the Canaries). Bananas were huge, economically, but small, physically. They were also tasty and sweet. Do you know them?

Now I know why good username/post combo.

Yeah, but the monkeys probably eat that little black doo dad that’s at the tip (bottom I sez) of the banana. The human does not do that. And so if the human is to open a banana the monkey way, said human is then burdened with having to do something with the doo dad while eating the banana. That’s inconvenient. Plus, what do you do, pinch off the doo dad with your…fingers?!?

Sorry, maybe some people don’t mind eating like a monkey (I hear the monkeys also have a blast throwing feces at each other). I for one want to eat like a human.

‘Sucrier’

Sounds like you are referring to ‘Sucrier’ or Lady Finger bananas