Band-Aids

Why are the standard adhesive bandages the color that they are?

To blend in unobtrusively with Caucasian skin, supposedly.

Sue from El Paso
members.aol.com/majormd/index.html

Thats exactly what I thought. I was aware at an early age, comparing bumps and scrapes on the playground, that Band-Aids were inherently racist. Been having a long-running arguement about it with my fiance, and finally, I am vindicated. :slight_smile:

Oh, come on.

First off, I have never met anyone who’s the color of a Band-Aid. But let’s assume that back in the . . . well, whenever the company started, they made the product to blend in with the skin tone of the overwhelming majority of their customer base. From an economic standpoint, it would be silly to make 85 different colors, so I think labeling them “racist” is a bit overboard.

And don’t they now make lots of different colors, including patterns?

They do make the clear brand now. That pretty much covers the entire spectrum. What is the big deal about having a bandaid match skin color anyway? Unless it’s a perfect match people would still notice it’s existence.

I got a lot of energy ready to be wasted on somebody - Mookie Wilson

What I find most interesting is Band-Aids, like so many other things, have shown a complete reversal in public opinion.

People use to want to hide them but now they’re celebrated with different colors and cartoons drawn on to pull more attention.

Braces are the same way - from feared status killer to proud badge of courage. Interesting. I wonder what we keep hidden today that will become the status symbol of tomorrow.

The snozberries taste like snozberries!

I always buy the clear ones. They’re unobtrusive, more flexable, and stay on better. Those cheap beige ones fall off within an hour at most.

Mardi writes:

My guess is – underwear! I predict that some time in the not too distant future rock stars will appear in bustieres and young men will wear baggy pants that expose the tops of their boxers! Too far out, you say? Just you wait!!

Strangers have the best candy.

Just remember, Band-Aid is a registered trademark of Johnson & Johnson.

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.

What happens if I forget that? My hard disk is right up to the rim. I think I’ll pass on that or I’ll have a crash.

Now what was that name of mine. . .

Best remember it, Ray, or an attorney will come and sue you for Trademark Forgetfulness! :wink:

If a lawyer comes, just throw a Frisbee at him

“I guess it is possible for one person to make a difference, although most of the time they probably shouldn’t.”

I’m Xeroxing this entire thread for my files.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I am not really sure it has anything to do with skin tones anyway. As someone said earlier, no one’s skin matches the color of an adhesive strip. So then why the beige color?

1. white - would show dirt too easily and for the same reasons that surgery scrubs went from white to green, the blood would look worse showing on white than on another color.

2. Black - would show dirt like the white ones (light dirt anyway) would hide the blood, but also would look out of place on skin.

3. Red, orange, yellow - too bright, it would attract too much attention.

4. Blue or green - would still attract attention, not as bad as other mentioned colors but not really desirable.

5. brown or beige - probably the best colors for this. They are dark enough to not look disgusting from dirt or blood, but not so noticable to be noticable. Beige is really a neutral color and would blend in better with most clothes and such. Probably the best choice back then.

Why are they colorful now? Mostly for kids. It kind of makes them forget their pain. Also, my daughter thinks she keeps needing a new Arthur Band-Aid (not sure how to show trademark), so it is also probably to get kids to want more and it increases sales.

I personally like the beige cloth type ones, they last pretty well and flex for most things.

Jeffery

manhattan wrote:

Well then, drink a cup of Sanka, put some Tabasco on those eggs, finish your Jell-O, and drive your Jeep right on down here! Just watch out you don’t pull out in front of any Caterpillar tractors on the way.

I’d open a window to let in some fresh air, but Microsoft has trademarked them all.

Quick-N-Dirty Aviation: Trading altitude for airspeed since 1992.

The flesh-tone ones came out in the late 50’s, or perhaps very early 60’s. Before that, they were white. I think the change from cloth to plastic was made at the same time.

I believe the appeal was mostly to women.

Fancy decorated ones for kids came out only a few years later.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

Somewhat off-topic…

Does anyone remember what year it was when Crayola changed the name of its light beige crayon, and what the original name was? I believe it was “flesh” but I’m not positive.
-Lanna

I recall “Bloom County” doing some strips on the subject of the “flesh” colored Crayola crayons. I don’t have it in front of me, but I remember the “CEO of Bloom County Inc.”, W.A. Thornhump, apologetically reacting to a letter from Crayola’s lawyers by saying that Crayola hasn’t had “flesh” since sometime in the sixties. Whereupon Opus noted they still had “Indian Red.” Crayola didn’t get around to losing that color until a year or so ago.

I know this is off post, but has anyone else noticed a resemblance between W.A. Thornhump and the pointy-haired boss on “Dilbert”? Scott Adams is invited to defend himself…

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef

Tracer, this thread is definetely a Kodak Moment™.

SanibelMan – The Man From Sanibel
“I like Florida; everything is in the eighties. The temperatures, the ages, and the IQs.”
– George Carlin

BTW, the “flesh” crayon is now called “peach.”

Live a Lush Life
Da Chef