Bands with sport-oriented names

Actually, basketball player Lucious Jackson.

It’s quite likely that the rapper Busta Rhymes took his name from former Oklahoma Sooner and Minnesota Viking George “Buster” Rhymes.

The Hanson Brothers… from the spectacle wearing goon trio in hockey movie Slapshot

“Pearl Jam” is a euphemism for semen. Pretty much the same as “Lovin’ Spoonful.” The Mookie Blaylock part of the story is certainly true, though, and he really was #10.

They’ve come up with about ten zillion post-hoc stories about the name “Pearl Jam,” including the popular one that it’s named after Eddie Vedder’s grandmother’s jam preserves, plus Earl Monroe, etc. etc. Truth is, it just means spooge.

Bowling for Soup?

Aw, I was going to say All Time Quarterback. However, I will toss in the little tidbit that All Time Quarterback isn’t a band, really. It’s just Ben Gibbard, from Death Cab for Cutie and the Postal Service, with toy instruments.

Tenacious D

GREAT fucking band!!

Well, the man who named the band has explicitly denied that he had that meaning in mind.

Regarding Pearl Jam, this is the closest I could come to a cite: The Unofficial Pearl Jam FAQ. It had to be unofficial, since the official offers no explanation that I can find. Take it for what it’s worth, as it says: “still not known for sure.”

[/hijack]

Yo la tengo–taken from an anecdote about the 1962 Mets’ attempts to coordinate a monolingual outfield.

Odd thing about the Outfield is, they’re British and admit they knew almost nothing about baseball when they picked the name.