Barack Obama - future President?

I’m not sure that last part is really a big help for him. He might not have gotten dirty himself , but there were assoads of “Coors is a big poopypants” comercials from various other groups for him.

I’d love to see him run with Bill Richardson in '08. (Since the majority feels that we’ll never snag McCain)

He’s bright, charismatic, good looking and has a wide appeal. He seems genuine and able to energize our base while still reaching across the aisle and finding common ground. His religious roots are certain to play well to most of middle America (out and out racists excepted, of course) and I think that quite a few southerners would be ecstatic to listen to his wooden boards stomping almost southern church style. (He didn’t use it too much during the DNC, but there was enough of a glimmer to know it’s there)

I hope he keeps his nose clean and takes a few solid stances on good, moderate values.

GO OBAMA GO!

Weeeeeellllll…

That’s what I thought (and I’m sure a lot of Dems did too) when we believed Kerry was going to take the election. But the more I hear about this whole value issues/cultural divide thang, I’m realizing that public image is always going to be the deciding factor for most in this country. I laughed long and hard at Dubya’s good-ol-boy persona in the face of cold facts, but the final appeal was underestimated.

Which brings me back to Obama. In a sound bite constituancy, the spoils go to the guy that can impart that warm fuzzy feeling during the 30 second clip on the evening news. And this guy can do it. Just look at the national (even international) buzz surrounding him now - based on one speech at the DNC. Obama is the prayed-for triple threat of brains, honest charisma and zero dirt. As long as he can maintain the latter (and I have this gut feeling it won’t be a problem - the guy seems to radiate good hearted charm), I say minimize the damage done by a long Senate career and put him on the ticket in 2008. Hell, put him up for President. He’s got a gift for working with and speaking to the public that could be the Democrats’ strongest weapon, and his appeal will cross color lines for all but the most dyed-in-the-wool racists.

We don’t want nobody nobody sent? :wink:

Not at all. For all the talk about how Bush connects with America, the only headway he made in the election was to accuse Kerry of being a traitor in Vietnam, of supporting terrorism, of wanting to force everyone into a Soviet health care system, and of being an agent of the famed Gay Agenda. An election is a fist fight. Kerry couldn’t dish it out as well as he could take it.

Obama strikes me the same way. He’d make warm, stirring speeches about his immigrant father coming to this country and discovering the wonder of America straight into a twenty point washout. We already tried that with Dukakis. The reason Clinton did well is that he was a fighter. The Pubbies impeached him for having sex, and they had two leaders walk out in shame by the time things were done. “It’s the economy, stupid!” is not a warm, fuzzy sound bite.

He’s a senator. Strike one.

From a state that’s already solidly dem. Strike two.

He’s being anointed with this can’t-miss messianic crap way too early. It makes him a political target for the GOP, and burdens normal development. Just because you have a top prospect doesn’t mean you stick him in the lineup. Strike three.

If you’re looking for near-term African American candidates, Harold Ford’s a better choice.

I agree with you, as far as the need for someone with a backbone to take on the presidential helm. But I also believe that Obama is going to prove himself to be a fighter - one with the intellegence and verbal aptitude that will allow him to prove his point in a way that would actually sway others over to his side.

What Republicans are saying about Kerry’s inability to connect with the regular American might be on target. Kerry was characterized as an elitist, right or wrong, and you’re right, he didn’t fight back. He didn’t fight back on any of the labels that were slapped on him. Or rather, he did and no one could stay awake long enough to listen to him.

The fact that Obama has a natural gift for eloquence, I believe, cannot be underestimated. Its been the fatal Democratic flaw every time we’ve lost. There’s talk about Clinton winning because he brought the party back to the center - I don’t think that’s it. Clinton had some pretty liberal ideas in him, but people bought it because he could turn on the charm and talk his ass off.

I think you and I are on the same general page. Its just my feeling that Obama has the qualities to be the uber-Clinton - younger, stronger, faster, now with real Rock Star Quality, a face your wife and your grandmother will love, and a golden tongue.

And I think in that context, his background and upbringing will prove to be an asset. He’ll get the support of the working class, the first, second and third-generation immigrant vote, the youth vote, most if not all of the “ethnic vote”, the Democratic vote, and if he can successfully spin the word “values” back from only meaning “gays and abortion”, he’ll probably get a good part of the religious vote as well.

My gut reaction to Obama is, even if he was Republican, I’d probably vote for him. That’s saying a LOT. From the way people are talking about him, I think he has the potential to get a lot of Repubs to cross party lines. That’s just my impression, but it seems that impressions are all most people voted on this year.

Probably not, but the way most of the the “flyover” states voted on Tuesday has done little to dispel that stereotype. :mad:

And, yes, I know, my own state went red. But I still feel the need to vent. Please bear with me for, oh, the next six months or so.

Is America ready to elect a black man? Man, that would be great.

But I’m not holding my breath.

I don’t see a Black Democract winning the presidency. What additional consituency would he bring to the table? We’ll see a Black Repblican president first.

Even in the states that voted Republican overall, in most cases nearly half the population voted Democrat. I’m sure those who voted Democrat in red states are frustrated enough right now without having Republican opinions attributed to them.

That’s stretching it a bit. According to the BBC figures (mostly final, apart from Alaska and Iowa), in 15 of the 31 states won by Bush fewer than 40% of voters chose the Democatic ticket:

Utah: 70.9; 26.5
Wyoming: 69.0; 29.1
Idaho: 68.5; 30.4
Nebraska: 66.6; 32.1
North Dakota: 62.9; 35.5
Oklahoma: 65.6; 35.4
Alabama: 62.5; 36.8
Kansas: 62.2; 36.5
Alaska: 61.9; 35.0
Texas: 61.2; 38.3
Indiana: 60.1; 39.2
South Dakota: 59.9; 38.4
Kentucky: 59.6; 39.7
Mississippi: 59.4; 39.9
Montana: 59.2; 38.4

In the other 16 states, things were closer:

Georgia: 58.7; 40.7
South Carolina: 58.1; 40.7
Louisiana: 56.8; 42.2
Tennessee: 56.8; 42.5
North Carolina: 56.3; 43.3
West Virginia: 56.1; 43.2
Arizona: 55.1; 44.3
Arkansas: 54.6; 44.3
Virginia: 53.8; 45.6
Missouri: 53.4; 46.1
Colorado: 53.1; 45.7
Florida: 52.2; 47.7
Ohio: 51.0; 48.5
Nevada: 50.5; 47.9
New Mexico: 50.2; 48.7
Iowa: 50.1; 49.2

However you slice it, that’s still a significant minority in all those states who did NOT vote for Bush.

Obama is a hell of a speaker. There aren’t many people in EITHER party who can deliver a captivating speech, and he’s one of them. (Heck, I’m a Republican and even I can see that).

Still, before anyone coronates him, remember that the last guy who delivered an equally captivating speech at the Democratic convention was Mario Cuomo. I disgreed with EVERYTHING he said on that night in San Francisco, and still thought he came off brilliantly. He LOOKED like a guy with a big future. But nothing came of it, ultimately. He wimped out on running for PResident in 1988, and was booted out of the governor’s mansion by New Yorkers before he coul try again.

Obama is a smart, attractive, impressive guy who MAY have a big future ahead of him. But I’d caution Dems not to start planning his inauguration party yet!