Barack Obama

Here you go:

I’m pretty sure that while Obama’s grandfather was Muslim, his father was agnostic.

Fantastic speech by Obama. You need to see the video. RealPlayer link at Obama’s blog.

I like this bit best, even though it’s just rhetoric:

Also,

Fundies in America are much more unified in their support of the Republican party and their political interest in issues relevant to their communities: gays are evil, abortion should be banned, and creationism should be taught in schools, all issues on which the Republican party is far more appealing. Thus they have indeed rallied en masse under leaders like Delay and Santorum (who won the overwhelming support of the Fundie community when they ran for Congress.)

I’ll take unemployment, crime, and education, please.

Ahhh. I assumed it was a version of the Hebrew name “Barak”, from the biblical warrior (Book of Judges), and also meaning 'lightning" or “thunderbolt”. I should have remebered that Hebrew and Arabic also share the B-R-Ch root (as in Egyptian president Hosni Mubarack).

I’ll have to second what Diogenes said. I never realy warmed to Clinton as a candidate (nor as President). Yes, Clinton is a very, very good speaker. But it always seemed as if he was performing. Obama’s speech had all of the qualities of a very good Clinton speech, but it was better in that it came across as sincere and real.

I had been vaguely aware of who Barak Obama was from reading numerous blogs and had heard he was a rising star in the party. But I had never heard him speak publicly before. While flipping channels on the TV, I just happened to stop on the PBS broadcast of his speech. And his speech totally blew me away - something that has never happened to me before (being awed by a political speech). I got a sense, like the commentors stated at the end, that I was witnessing history in the making.

As another skinny guy with a funny name I concur, awesome speech. This from his bio “Currently a senior lecturer specializing in constitutional law at the University of Chicago Law School” is very obvious from his speech. He, more then any other speaker that I saw, spoke to the audience and not to the teleprompter. He knew his speech almost by heart. I hope the coming speakers are just as prepared. It makes such a difference.

Kinda like I would have been dazzled by musicians from Beethoven to Bono more if they’d been black, or more greatly appreciated the beauty of the theorems of mathematicians from Euclid to Erdös if they’d been black, or…you get the idea.

Will the Illinois GOP even bother running an opponent against Obama for the Senate? What would be the point? I hope Kerry uses him on the campaign.

Oh, well. This is the forum for witnessing, I guess.

I am so glad I get to vote for him this fall. I hope in a few years all of America will get that opportunity. That was the best speech I have ever watched.

Funny, no one mentioned to me that he was black until this thread. I thought he was of Arabic decent, the the extent that I thought about it at all. I heard his name first at the gay pride parade in 2003. People were excited about him; now I know why.

He has handled the senate campaign with class. His opponent had him stalked by a camera and managed not only to not find anything to smear him with, but failed to rile him into saying or doing any thing less than admirable.

It is wonderful to see such passion not coupled with blind, unquestioning faith.

Does a person need to actually voice an opinion or take a stand to be considered a great leader these days, or do we actually let our politicians get away with vague “we are the people, and we should unite and work together and be happy and free” rhetorical bullshit?

The irony of this statement is I am still unsure how you feel about Obama.

A keynote speech is hardly the place to go into detail of ones own specific issues and plans to deal with them. This was not a debate, nor was it a campaign speech for Obama. It was a speech to get everyone fired up about being a Dem, to sound a key note in the theme that will shape the convention and the fall campaigns. It was to campaign for Kerry, not himself. Still, he managed to say a lot for that format. For one thing he said that we should not go to war without sound proof. He did a damn good job at what he was there to do. He also helped to dispell the nothion that dems are not patriots.

…They know that parents have to parent, that children can’t achieve unless we raise their expectations and turn off the television sets and eradicate the slander that says a black youth with a book is acting white.

I personally thought that this was the line of the evening.

I believe he is being fast tracked because he’s black. So what? He has the credentials and charisma to pull it off. I believe he has earned this opportunity.

He is fascinating to watch and listen to.

PaulFitzroy

I’d note that, for better or worse, many liberals did feel the same way about a white man named Howard Dean.

Obama’s got it in person, too. My Hubby attended a number of political gatherings last fall as he helped campaign for Kerry (being massively pregnant, I stayed home). And I remember him coming back from a small Dem speaking group in Evanston talking about Barack Obama.

That speech gave me goosebumps and made me want to cry. Dig those goofy ears.

THIS is the guy the smeghead Ryan was running against?

Damn. No wonder he went for desperate measures. This guy looks like a class act, speaks like a class act, thinks like a class act. And if the research Ryan went through couldn’t turn up one hint of impropriety and the 24 hour surveilancecam didn’t pick up jack, either…

This guy looks like he’s going places. Now, I’m a republican, and maybe I’ll vote against him, when the day comes. But I’ve always had a philosophy… this country is served best when the opposition is strong, principled, and people of righteous conviction. A man should be known by the quality of his enemies.

The GOP better damn well have a humdinger to run against him.

For that matter, a lot of us liberals down here in Georgia felt that way about a white man named…Ben Jones! :smiley:

[hijack]

'08 Republican Presidential Ad:

(two overweight middle-aged white midwestern types sitting on a porch)

male: “Barack Osama? Bin Laden Obama?”

female: “Isn’t he that terrorist guy?”

announcer: “It’s just a few letters’ difference. Is that enough?”

[/hijack]

Why should we feel “the same way”? We live in a multiracial society where there has long been a dearth of non-white national political leaders. Is there some reason why we cannot be happy about the emergence of a compelling national political figure who is not just another white guy?

Plus, it was a darned good speech regardless of the his skin color.