Baseball Trivia Questions Thread

I don’t know if I have the complete answer but we can figure it out:

How many different ways can a runner get credit for a run scored but a batter does not get credit for an RBI?

That was the great Bob Ferguson.

And since it has been 24 hours, I’ll post the answers to a couple of mine:

Q: Who was the first player to ever homer in the World Series?

A: Bill Dahlen. BUT WAIT A MINUTE! My source says Bill Dahlen, but Baseball Reference says he never hit a World Series home run. So it appears the correct answer is Jimmy Sebring, as someone stated above.

Q: Who was the one post-1950 player born in Russia to reach the major leagues?

A: Victor Cole

Deeg:

I think four: wild pitch, passed ball, stolen base, and as result of a double play.

Off the top of my head, you also should add balk and error …

Do you get an RBI if you reach base with the bases-loaded on catchers interference?

You guys got them; as far as I know there are 5: wild pitch, passed ball, stolen base, GIDP, and balk. No run-scored on an error (although I could imagine there’s a crazy rule where it counts for a particular kind of error). The catcher’s interference is an interesting one but I suspect it does not count.

Her name was Claire and her cousin was Johnny Mize.

Here’s another spouse question:

1. What was the name of Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Feller’s first wife?

2. Who was the first player to hit two home runs in a single All-Star game?

I’ve no idea who Bob Feller’s wife was, but the first man to hit two home runs in an All Star game was Arky Vaughan.

You can get a run on an error without an RBI. Example: man on second, grounder through the first baseman’s legs, runner scores from second. Runner gets credit for a run scored; batter gets no RBI. Or a catcher tries to pick off a runner at third and throws it into left field. Again, run without a RBI. Lots of possibilities.

Carlos Baerga

&. Other than Babe Ruth, what MLB Hall of Fame player wore #3 for the New York Yankees baseball club?

+. Name the three original 1962 Mets to play on a New York Mets pennant winning team.

*. Who is the only player who played his entire career in one city, and on every MLB team that played in that city?

I assume this must mean among cities that have had more than one team? Otherwise, there’s any number of answers. Tony Gwynn. Kirby Puckett. Willie Stargell. And no doubt dozens of players with cups of coffee in cities that have only ever had one MLB team.

1. There is some debate. Some claim it was Chris Short, though the correct answer appears to be Don Sutton.

2. That, too, was Johnny Mize.

Which pitcher allowed Hall of Famer Gary Carter’s first career hit?

I wouldn’t have thought he was the only one–in fact I’m sure he isn’t–but Ron Santo played many years for the Cubs and one year with the Sox.

Ken Frailing: An obscure relief pitcher also included in the deal, also played for both teams and only those teams. I think.

Doesn’t fit the criteria, since there was another MLB team in Chicago at one point.

I also should have mentioned that the player involved played on three teams and never played for a MLB team in any other city.

Well, it can’t be New York.

Are you counting the Federal League as “major league”?

That would be the immortal Dutch Zwilling, the Last Name in Baseball, who played for the White Sox, Cubs, and Whales.

He was nearly matched by his fellow Z-man, Rollie Zeider, who also played for all three Chicago teams, but spoiled his achievement by playing a few games for the Yankees in 1913.

Freddy the Pig:

Not since last September 4, when Tony Zych debuted.

Wait, if we’re counting the Federal League why not the Chicago franchises in the Union Association and the Players’ League? Those are both generally considered “major league baseball” these days.

Oh my God. I really thought Dutch’s record would never be broken!

Of course, I used to think that about Hank Aaron, too. And then David Aardsma came along.

The Players, appropriately. The Union Association, no. Henry Lucas’ vanity team went 94-19 in the UA’s one season of operation–then 36-72 when they played National League teams the next year. The rest of the UA teams, of course, were much worse than that. The UA was not a major league.