Bathroom caulking question

I’m in the midst of recaulking a bathroom. Is there supposed to be a deep crevice between a “rope” molding at the top of tub and the adjacent tile above it? Can you just recaulk over? Would love to post pic, but don’t see an option to attach.

You’ll have to post your image to another site and then link to it here … SDMB doesn’t support posting images …

Does the deep crevice hold water? … if so, then this is a major problem … and if the crevice is narrow enough you should be fine filling it with a 100% silicone caulking … say more than 1/8" you might want to fill it with something* and then again use the 100% silicone caulking to cover and seal … whatever it takes to make sure the water all drains off and the area has an opportunity to dry out completely between uses …

• = Accept no substitute … the tube should clearly state “100% Silicone” … this stuff is harder to use, surface prep is critical including being bone dry … and it takes a good 24 hours to set up, and another week or two to cure up to strength … so the tub will need to be used minimally during this time … it’s not paintable … however it has far superior elastic qualities, this is especially important when the two surfaces are of dissimilar materials with different thermal properties … wood or metal expand and contract at different rates than ceramic tile … so caulking without good elastic properties will break and allow water to once again collect and rot …

Link to picture. I understand the importance of 100% silicone. Want to make sure any additional prep steps aren’t required. Also, it seems the tub and surrounding tile may have been resurfaced (repainted). Not sure if that adds complication.

Yes … additional prep will be better … use a sharp putty knife and remove all the curling stuff and any thing loose … and be careful, don’t want to knock any of the tile pieces off … but anything you can remove you should, not chisel-and-hammer remove, but just working a putty knife should break off anything that will break off in the future …

If that’s wallboard above … it should be touch sanded to clean it off completely … then sealed with a good oil-based primer and then painted with a bit of oil-based paint … the surfaces have to be complete clean and dust-free for the silicone to stick properly … I would endeavour to scrap all the junk off the tile, but that may just be more of a cosmetic issue …

Thanks for the prompt replies. Apologies for not being clear, there is certainly further prep required, just was curious if there were additional steps needed (above and beyond removing/cleaning old latex caulk, etc.) such as having to add a grout layer before caulking, etc.

To your question, it is not wallboard, it is standard bathroom tile, which I believe was painted over at some point. Would this also require sanding and repainting?

I do not think there was supposed the be that big of a gap beween the tub top molding tiles and the wall tiles.
What you might try to do is see if you can fill it with some grout, or mortar, and then recaulk after wards.

Caulk alone may probably shrink up and not keep that filled and sealed like you want.
It may help to try to push some mesh into the hole.

Ah … I see now … as long as the paint is firmly adhering to the tile … then you should be able to caulk right over it … and as Weisshund noted, maybe stuff some fiberglass insulation down into the gap as filler … if needed … like if there’s a void behind there … otherwise just make sure the surfaces are clean clean clean … including any dust …

It’s hard to tell from the photo exactly how wide that gap is, but if it’s larger than 1/8 inch or so, you probably should fill it with backer rod (aka caulk filler rope) before caulking.