I’m sending out my best wishes to my fellow PNW Dopers who are still in dark today. Our power came back on at 10:45 last night, 24 1/2 hours after it went out. The owner of our building came around this morning to see how everyone was doing and was surprised that we had power. At her house, a mile or so away, there’s no such luck yet.
I’m in Burien, just west of Sea-Tac Airport. It was hard to believe that during the worst of the storm, there were still planes taking off. I could hear them and even see one occasionally. Whether there were others landing, I don’t know. Yesterday, however, somehow the power to the ground radar went out, so there were no planes coming or going for a while, even though it was calm.
TikkiDad, TikkiSis and I all did fine. All those candles I’d saved up over the years finally got put to good use. TikkiDad got out his camp stove and set it up on his kitchen stove so that the carbon monoxide would go up the vent and we all had hot chocolate. Boy, was that good!
Exploring the neighborhood, there was a 70-80 foot tall fir tree that fell over one of the main streets just a couple of blocks away. Fortunately, no one got hurt and it didn’t appear to have hit any buildings. A friend’s neighbor’s girlfriend wound up with a tree in her bedroom but she wasn’t hurt.
I was kind of surprised yesterday when I saw that at least two of the three hummingbirds that visit TikkiDad’s feeder managed not to get blown away and were zipping to and fro as if everything was business as usual.
[QUOTE=AuntiePam]
I remember the windstorm that took out the Hood Canal Bridge many years ago – I think it was during the Thanksgiving holiday. We lived on Beacon Hill and our windows were bowing.
This must have been much worse than that.
[/QUOTE]
Looking it up, that occurred on February 13, 1979. It must have been a warm winter because I remember we went camping up near Port Townsend not long after. It seems like it was only a few days but probably late March by then. We drove all the way around the south end of Puget Sound and stopped at the bridge to have a look at it. You could walk right up to the western part that slopes down to the pontoons that make up most of the bridge. Only now, there were no pontoons for it to connect to and it sloped at a very steep angle into the depths of Hood Canal. It really looked strange.
Here’s hoping all of you Dopers and your loved ones are safe through this thing. Especially those of you on the coast and in rural areas. I’m sending warm thoughts your way.