battle of the bulge

Watch out. Don’t get him upset, or he might post a spoiler! :smiley:

This. Besides, Harrison Ford should have killed Hitler when he had the chance.

Remember that next time you say “Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor??”

The chorus becomes more deafening every year.

Question, does Jones keep the book? He could have sold it for a mint down the line.

This was an acknowledgement that Hitler’s original plan of putting most weight on the German right, favouring the Waffen-SS, had been a disaster, and that Manteuffel’s Fifth Panzer Army sector had always shown the greatest promise.This was not just because of Manteuffel’s fighting qualities and judgement as a commander, but because the terrain was far better suited and offered more alternatives to fast-moving armoured troops. Surprise was the major advantage the Germans possessed and that had largely been thrown away by the length of time the panzer formations took to bridge their river lines during the first couple of days. Had the Fifth Army possessed Dietrich’s bridging equipment, engineering assets and weight of artillery support, enabling it to bridge efficiently and effectively on 16–17 December, it might have made the Meuse, but even then would not have managed to get much beyond
Snow and Steel, Peter Caddick-Adams.

The latest the Nazis could have held out was August 45. After that the were properly fucked. On an atomic level.

“It belongs in a museum.”

There was an alternate history book that had a successful Battle of the Bulge for Germany where the Germans take Antwerp and cause a second Dunkirk-like pocket, causing Roosevelt to have a heart attack and die, Eisenhower is killed by German commandos, and there’s a succession crisis between Henry Wallace and Truman which paralyzes the country. Germany doesn’t win the war but radically alters US history.

Asuka-Do you know the title of that book. It sounds like an interesting read.

There is an interesting alternate history due to the fact that in 1940 Roosevelt and Wallace beat Wendell Wilkie and Charles McNary in the Presidential election. McNary died in February 1944 and Wilkie in October. So if Wikie had won (Roosevelt won in a landslide), then under the rules of succession the Secretary of State would be President.
A few years ago “World War II” magazine had an article on what a President Wilkie would have done in World War II. Pretty much the same as Roosevelt was their conclusion. Wilkie had supported Roosevelt early on but switched to the Republican party in late 1939 over the Tennessee Valley Authority legislation.

:confused:

Huh? He should have been over 160 years old by WWII.

He was born on the Fourth of July, after all.

My assumption with Hitler’s hopes for what became the Battle of the Bulge was a repeat of the May 1940 miracle. His panzers race to the channel, cut off a portion of the Allied army in a pocket to the northeast, and force the surrender of that force. This should somehow cause so much dismay and panic in the opposing high level leadership that the remainder of the [western] allied forces surrender or withdraw.

In retrospect, not bloody likely, but I don’t think anyone in the German high command expected France to fold in 1940 like it did, either.

Hail Mary passes are by definition last ditch prayers for a miracle. Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein was no different.

The Germans lost?

Shhh!! You’ll ruin it!

Really? What had been the consensus, the preparation for the assault then?

I’m sure it was a pleasant surprise, but how do you think the lessons learned or not-learned-and-misapplied affected the subsequent campaigns?

I am assuming your referring to the attack on France in 1940. From the wiki: (Bolding mine)

and

and, finally:

As I said earlier, I believe Hitler, while planning for an offensive at the end of '44, was hoping for another miracle. He even attacked through the Ardennes (again), the scene of his most memorable military triumph.

The were some slight differences in the military situation between 1940 and 1944/45, though. :wink:

To my mind, one of the best factoids to demonstrate the hail-mariness of the 1944 hail mary, is that the Germans had to count on overcast conditions: they knew full well that, if the skies cleared, they would get pummeled by the overwhelming might of the Allied air force (& artillery), particularly having their spearheads and supply lines swarmed by clouds of P-47 Thunderbolts (which, indeed, is exactly what happened).

An attack that depends on key weather conditions continuing for days or weeks …

Moderator Note

Please don’t take pot-shots at other users in GQ.

mlees thank you for your quick and concise reply.