Battlestar Galactica 1.9 — "Hand of God" (now with lemon fresh spoilers)

The official site has section about the various ships, including some of these supporting vessels. As I recall, that one in particular gets like a paragraph, something about how it’s a holdover from an old design which needed the artificial gravity but is now useful for all its space. I think it’s a science/research ship of some kind.

I agree. Major chills at the end there.

The producers got a good deal on the Vulcan ship models from Enterprise?

Uh, I don’t think that Starbuck is “buddies” with Adama. Remember in a previous episode, she confessed to Adama that she gave his son (can’t remember his name :o) a passing grade in piloting even thought he wasn’t qualified, because she was in love with him and they were planning to marry. Adama was furious when he found out and he told her to get out of his quarters “while she could still walk”. I think that Adama is merely able to think like a military commander, compartmentalize his feelings and pick the best person for the job; it just happened to be Starbuck. When you go from being from a planet with billions of people and shiny new battle stars with plenty of well-qualified personnel, to a almost moth-balled museum piece and the last 50,000 people who survived only because of dumb luck, you work with what you’ve got.

Doesn’t seem that odd, actually. Remember, the initial Cylon attack took place only short time (hours or less) after a decommissioning ceremony on Galactica, which was attended by the Secretary of Education. So you’d have had a lot of press on Galactica for that - some of them would have left after the event on the same ship as then-SecEd Roslin, others may have still been on Galactica waiting for another ship to leave, and still others may have been remaining to do more in-depth reporting or follow-ups. So there’s no reason to think there couldn’t have been a sizable press corps that was either on Galactica at the time of the attack, or would have returned quickly with the President. And of course, press members who left after the ceremony could have been on other ships that made it to the convoy.

Oh - and beyond the decommissioning ceremony, it’s certainly possible that the SecEd is considered important enough, 43rd-in-line of succession or no, that a few Colonial AP stringers just follow her around a lot.

As for the rivalry - shrugs. Old habits die hard.

I’m putting way too much thought into this. But no, the size of the press corps doesn’t seem unreasonable.

I don’t understand these comments.

This is the way Galactica does things. When the Adamas, Tigh, and Gaeta were viewing the recon ‘photos’ of the cylon base, they were clear film on a light table. When Baltar pointed out where to target the cylon base, he did it on a simple wall projection. They plan ops on a big light table. They would already have models for all of their ships.

The only models they wouldn’t have are of the new style cylon raiders. Galactica has to have the equivalent of a machine shop. The raiders aren’t that detailed. It shouldn’t be too much trouble to fabricate models of them.

The display should be three dimensional; the vertical relation of ships would be very important.

While I certainly have issues regarding Balter, I undstand where they are coming from here. I have experienced this myself, when people say “oh just ask the smart guy, he knows everything.” AS they are short on people, and because he may be the last big scientist left, and is the president’s science advisor, it is not at all unlikely for them to have unrealistic expectations of him (especially since he goes along with it).

How the deal with his insanity, however, is another issue altogether…

I am glad to know that I am not the only one disturbed by the fact that in a population under 50,000 such a large amount of news reporters exist. With all the reporters, exactly who are they reporting all this news through?

Maybe the president wanted press to make her feel good about herself and so that she can use them as a human shield if necessary. :smiley:

I’ve only seen the mini-series - the full series should be winging its way soon. Is the Cylon press guy still around?

Oh, absolutely. I deliberately avoided discussing the limitations of displaying a 3D situation on a 2D surface. But I also don’t remember seeing any evidence of 3D display technology on Galactica.

My comments were directed more towards the ‘Where did the ship models come from?’ than the practicality of such a setup.

Good point, I’d forgotten that.

I’d also buy that. I still think the fact that they’re still bothering to wear fraking press passes remains unexplicable though.

Adama seems to be over the whole “you killed my son” thing. He later endangered the fleet looking for Starbuck after she crashed, and has seemed affectionate towards her since then.

Especially when he’s standing in a ‘crucified’ position…

IIRC, the Galactica had a bunch of news reporters aboard covering her decommissioning and being turned into a museum. A bunch more may have been accompanying the secretary of education to the Galactica in her capacity as the governmental representative opening the museum, to continue the coverage.

Actually, on the miniseries DVD they show that except for cockpit closeups, all space shots are 100% CG. It’s pretty damn impressive.

About the Cylon’s motives:I think their goal is to let the Galactica lead them to the last remnants of humanity so that they can achieve total victory. Six mentions a prophecy about a final confrontation at the home of the gods.

I believe HPL’s comment was a direct reference to Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, where Number Two is briefing Dr. Evil on their assets since Dr. Evil had been recovered from suspended animation. He was using a table full of little plastic models of various factories they owned, and the payoff joke was that one of the factories made little plastic models of factories (thus explaining where all the models came from).

[QUOTE=sturmhauke]
Actually, on the miniseries DVD they show that except for cockpit closeups, all space shots are 100% CG. It’s pretty damn impressive./QUOTE]

Humor.
It is a difficult concept.

^:dubious:^

I don’t think that…

<sorta spoiler concerning Caprica Boomer>

…Caprica Boomer-bot is pregnant. Unless they’re markedly different from humans, requiring a much shorter incubation period. Remember, not that many days have passed on Caprica - she and Helo had sex, what, three days ago? There’s no way she’d be having morning sickness that soon.

Are spoilers showing in anyone else’s email notification, or am I just special? :slight_smile:

24 or so days have passed on Caprica (With nary an advancement in plot!). When do pregnant women normally get morning sickness? (And, no, not ‘in the morning!’)

Spoiler for the current episode:

IIRC, Helo and Capirica-Boomer had sex on the 25th day, and this most recent episode was the 37th day. 12 days is long enough for morning sickness to start, innit?