Batwoman Season 2

S02E14 And Justice For All

HUNGRY FOR MORE - Batwoman is faced with a new challenge when Gotham’s Snakebite addicts become ravenous for more than the next fix.

That was a very bad episode of tv. It felt like it was written by white people for white people - it rang very trite, and very false. And this week in reasons why Sophie is awful, there’s no expectation of privacy in police custody. She (as a law enforcement “professional”) should know better than to give away Batwoman’s identity while in lockup. That was just all kinds of stupid in a scene that was already very poorly written.

Just after I said Luke deserves to be with someone, he goes and gets himself shot by Officer Shit-for-Brains.

What is Sophie going to do now that she has quit the Crows? I hope that means she isn’t going into the Batcave. Because that would be intolerable.

S02E15 Armed and Dangerous

IS THIS GOODBYE? - As Luke Fox’s life hangs in the balance, repercussions from the devastating event are the catalyst for some life-changing decisions for those around him.

I have to commend the actor playing Taviroff. His air of smug disdain made me want to smash his face in, even before he shot Luke. Given the state of the justice system in Gotham, I predict that he’ll get out of the charges against him and set up whatever will replace the Crows.

Sophie on the other hand is still infuriatingly useless. Nothing against Meagan Tandy, who has to work with the poor material she’s given by the writers.

“Pull the raw bodycam footage” 5 words. But instead she gave a stupid speech.

Also, that’s the quickest shutdown of a multi-million dollar corporation ever. I get that the crows storylines weren’t working, but this was a really weird way of ending them all.

S02E16 Rebirth

CAN’T LET IT GO - When a familiar foe descends upon Gotham, Batwoman and Mary find they must rely on each other more than ever. Alice has a has a new mission - and gets an unexpected ally to join her.

Great to see John Diggle again. But his purpose in the episode was seemingly just to get Luke out of his (justifiable) funk. That’s rather disappointing. I was hoping for a glimpse of, you know, some sort of ring.

Just when you think that Sophie did something productive by stirring up Kate’s memories, she goes and negates it all by almost immediately falling for Kate’s transparent ruse. Mary should have set up a rule that no one leaves Kate alone.

We finally get some full on Circe/Kate conflict, which was great. Wallis Day even pulled off some of Ruby Rose’s mannerisms.

S02E17 Kane, Kate

A VILLAINOUS PLOT - Batwoman struggles as Black Mask (guest star Peter Outerbridge) continues to raise the stakes with Circe (guest star Wallis Day) as his henchwoman. Alice and Safiyah (guest star Shivaani Ghai) cross paths once again.

Holy crap the season suddenly got really, really good. They should have unleashed Wallis Day a lot sooner. They wasted too much time, first, denying that Kate was even alive, and then keeping her on ice.

I do have the question of why/how does Wallis Day know how to fight.

About halfway through the episode, I was thinking of calling it quits on the show. I don’t need a thoroughly corrupt police department on tv - having many in real life is enough. And I was kind of sick of all of the plotlines. But it was really nice watching Alice stab Safiyah - I’m not sure if it’s enough for me to watch past the end of the season finale, but it was enough for me to watch the season finale.

She has (some of?) Kate Kane’s memories restored, and Kate knows how to fight.

S02E18 Power

SEASON FINALE - In the Batwoman season finale, Ryan Wilder questions her place as the city’s hero as she, Luke Fox, Mary Hamilton and Sophie Moore must join forces when Black Mask (guest star Peter Outerbridge) instigates chaos in the Gotham streets. Meanwhile, Alice’s attempt to rescue her sister means another encounter with Circe (guest star Wallis Day). In an epic standoff, unexpected alliances and transformations will upend Gotham as we know it.

A) That was way too much plot for 60 minutes. (Starting the purge and ending the purge and turning what’s his name into Bane and ending the false flag empire and saving Kate and semi-reforming Alice/Beth and introducing Batwing and I think I forgot some things…) On the one hand, they did wrap up this year’s threads. On the other, it should have taken at least 60 minutes.
B) It was just a few days ago where they were sure Kate was back - and it wasn’t really Kate. Why on earth are they that willing to trust again that it’s really Kate this time?
C) Why is Ocean renting a campervan? Just steal one. If he must, he can leave a pile of cash in its place, but a stolen campervan is the least of either of their sins.
D) Ronan’s plans didn’t make any sense. Supervillains plans never do, but this was really bad. Gotham is not an independent nation state - the federal government is going to come in before he can become a fascist hero.

This is why I said they should have unleashed Wallis Day much sooner. They had to reveal Sionis’ nefarious plot, show it being implemented, and show his demise, along with making whatever Taviroff has become, introducing Batwing, Batwing vs Taviroff, determining a cure for Kate, hooking up with Alice, Alice+Ryan vs Circe, implementing the cure for Kate, and a partridge in a pear tree.

Word of God is that they’re not planning to have Wallis Day again next season, so I trust that Kate really is Kate for the foreseeable future. Kate did mention that she is going to see a friend in National City, so maybe we’ll see her in Supergirl, as the Kate and Kara plot thread hasn’t been resolved.

Word of God has also said that Dougray Scott isn’t coming back, so the last we’ll see of Jacob Kane is in prison. One would think that Mary would have something to say about that.

Word of God hasn’t said anything about Meagan Tandy, so presumably she’s coming back next season. What exactly is Sophie’s function, now that the Crows have been dissolved and Kate is chasing Bruce Wayne?