Bay Gulls?

My brother was at a breakfast place which had the sign “If gulls that fly over the sea are seagulls, what are gulls that fly over the bay?”

Yes, he had bagels for breakfast.

Which brought up the question -
Are there any non-sea gulls?

Portugull is right next to Spain.

Most people don’t realize that gulls were classified into five seperate categories by the Federal goverment by the provisions of the Firefly-Quackenbush Gull and Loon Act of 1901 (commonly refered to as the Goon Act). The most common category was, of course, the C Gull. Our national bird was given a special category of its own and was designated as the E Gull. A single bird which is flying alone is known as A Gull. Some confusion over the exact meaning of the term “bird dog” resulted in a number of canines be calssified as B Gulls. The rare category of D Gulls was reserved for military use and only invoked once, in 1943, when four bluejays and a canary were placed in this category as part of an operation to confuse German intelligence. Tragically the bluejays were all captured and died under Gestapo interrogation. The canary however survived the war and died in 1962, when he was buried with full military honors. In recognition of these brave birds, Dwight Eisenhower signed a law retiring the D Gull category. This turned out to have little effect, as Eisenhower was no longer President.

Kudos, Mike! It’s a pleasure to see such a finely sharpened pen around these here parts.

Cave Diem! Carpe Canem!

I read this as Gay Bulls?.. Imagine my suprise!

Funny, omnicient, I did the same thing…

But seriously, Gulls accumulate near any large body of water. Hell, Chicago even has albatross, and we’re 1000 miles from the nearest ocean.

Jason R Remy

“Open mindedness is not the same thing as empty mindedness.”
– John Dewey Democracy and Education (1916)

I was just as surprised, having read “Guy Balls”.

www.m-w.com finds the following under the search term “*gull” (hey, I never knew they allowed wildcards at the beginning!):

Main Entry: 1gull
Pronunciation: 'g&l
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, of Celtic origin; akin to Welsh gwylan gull
Date: 15th century
: any of numerous long-winged web-footed aquatic birds (subfamily Larinae of the family Laridae); especially : a usually gray and white bird (as of the genus Larus) differing from a tern in usually larger size, stouter build, thicker somewhat hooked bill, less pointed wings, and short unforked tail

Main Entry: herring gull
Date: 1857
: a common large gull (Larus argentatus) of the northern hemisphere that as an adult is largely white with a gray mantle, dark wing tips, pink feet, and yellow bill

Main Entry: laughing gull
Date: 1789
: an American gull (Larus atricilla) having a black head in breeding plumage and black wing tips blending into the gray upper side of the wings

Main Entry: sea·gull
Pronunciation: 'sE-"g&l
Date: 1542
: a gull frequenting the sea; broadly : GULL

:shaking head:
Mike, my friend, you have entirely too much time on your hands!

Now that I’ve said that: Good show! Nicely done!

And can it be that in a world so full and busy, the loss
of one weak creature makes a void in any heart, so
wide and deep that nothing but the width and depth
of vast eternity can fill it up!
-Charles Dickens “Dombey and Son”

I hate to quibble with your excellent summary of the Goon Act, Mike but the 1943 operation was undertaken by a group of Scottish Grouse known as the R. Gulls. As any schoolboy knows the D. Gulls went into action on June 6, 1944.

Ask a Mormon.

(No, Monty. This isn’t an attack. Calm down.]