BBQ Burger Recipes

friedo is goin’ up to the Old Lady’s house in the 'burbs for Mother’s Day and will most likely be conscripted to operate the BBQ and cook some burgers.

I need some suggestions on yummy things to add to The Meat before cooking. It seems that when I try to get creative and add things like onion chunks and BBQ sauce and whatnot, the patties just end up falling apart, which ruins the whole effect.

So:

What are some good things I can add that won’t make the meat fall apart on the grill? Or,

What are some good things I can add that will help it stick together?

And finally: Miscellaneous BBQ burger suggestions are welcome.

Mix hamburger with either hot or sweet Italian sausage in a 3:1 ratio. Form into patties. Cook well. Trust me on this one. :stuck_out_tongue:

Egg helps meat stay together. Add an egg and you can add other non-meat stuffs without as much risk of it falling apart. You could base your hamburger patties on a good meatball recipe. I’ve done that.

I recommend listening to silenus’s suggestion about sausage. Never tried it but it sounds good.

Hmm. Do you just cut it into chunks? I don’t have a meat grinder or anything like that.

Usually I add everything and mush it through my fingers a lot. It gets rid of the grain where it naturally falls apart. Plus throw in the freezer for 30-40 minutes before you grill it. You don’t want it frozen hard, but a little chill keeps it together as well

That’s after it’s in patty shape, incase I was unclear.

Italian sausage comes in uncooked links. You can find pre-packaged sausage in the meat department of your local grocery store. Peel the skins off of the links, and you have ground sausage. Toss a pound of it in a bowl with 3 lbs. of ground round. Add one egg. Mix with your hands, getting the sausage and hamburger all mixed together. Form into good-sized patties. Grill. Cook well-done. Serve with the usual condiments, though these don’t need much…maybe an onion slice and a little mustard. They are juicy suckers, so be careful.

ps. The sausage skins easier if you put them in the freezer for half an hour before skinning. Run a knife along the link to split the casing, and peel like a banana. :smiley:

I have found that a mix of half ground beef and half ground lamb makes for an excellent burger. With some crumbled feta and diced tomatos it is heaven.

If you’re not against using prepared seasonings, I really like ground turkey mixed with onion soup mix (and just a splash of water to mix it together).

Mmmmm. Can’t wait for summer just thinking about it!

Meat.
Fire.

I make two thin pattys, heap in crumbled bleu cheese in the middle, then smush them together and grill. Top with avacado and maybe bacon if you want, plop on an onion roll and crack open a home-brew. Ahhh, satisfaction.

It does take some practice to form the correct size pattys and then mushing the two together again.

Ah, my life is actually pretty damn good. :smiley:

Thai Sweet Chili sauce: it is sticky and gooey so it keeps your burgers together and adds a really nice sweetness. Use it in place of egg.

I often throw a handful of oatmeal, garlic & green onion in with my meat (usually turkey or beef).

Bumpsky.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Keep 'em coming!

I find just dumping in a little A1 Steak Sauce makes for a pretty tasty burger!

Welcome to Good Burger! Home of the Good Burger!

May I take your order, please?