Beans, beans, good for your heart...

the more you eat, the better for your heart! (that’s how it goes, right?)
So lately I have been eating a lot of beans- trying to cut back on meat, still need a lot of protein and iron, and it’s heading into winter, so it’s the perfect time for soups. I have already made a lot of pinto beans (with ham and fried potatoes and onions, yum), split pea soup (my recipe is fantastic), navy bean soup, and today I am making great northern bean soup. That’s pretty much my repertoire as far as beans go. Anybody got any unusual or just plain delicious recipes for other kinds of beans, or the same kinds with different preparations?

Beans, beans, the musical fruit
The more you eat, the more you toot
The more you toot, the better you feel
So eat some beans, with every meal.

Chili!

d&r

I don’t know about other parts of the world, but my relatives in New Brunswick are into baked beans with breakfast. Or, at least with the big, full, hot breakfast ie eggs, bacon, homefries, beans…

I’d never seen that before, here in Ontario, but it’s a common diner menu item down east.

Chili, refried beans, baked beans.

Once a week or so I’ll get those Bush’s Baked Beans, add some ketchup and brown sugar and stovetop cook them until they’ve got a nice skin on top. That’s not a receipe but they shure is good.

No! Bad Leaffan! Beans don’t belong in chili! Only as a side.

Incidentally, I could use some yummy bean rrecipes myself. The last time I had beans was as a child and I would scarf some Beanie Weenies (good times!) So, I know jack about how to cook em and I too would like to cut back on the meat intake while getting plenty of protein. I tried to addict myself to lentils for a bit, but found that they kinda sucked. Maybe it was my recipes, or that I didn’t grow up on them like beans, I don’t know.

Sorry! Ramble over, carry on. semper fi

Don’t d&r. CHILI! And any person (usually Texan) who wants to haughtily say chili has no beans or it isn’t chili is invited to sit on a long, rusty, serrated, pointed object.* I’ll also add beans to stews and pot roasts.

*I am okay with people who like to have fun and don’t take it seriously (see my posts in the bagel thread about toasting for an example).

Red beans and rice with andouille sausage.

Start by sauteing up your holy trinity (equal parts onion & celery & bell pepper, minced), of course. I usually add minced carrots and garlic to that, also. Then add your soaked beans and water and cook as usual. You can include a hambone, if desired. I usually use bouillon, which adds flavor and covers the salt requirement.

Slice and fry some andouille sausage. You can add the sausage to cook with the beans instead, but I prefer frying it separately - it reduces the grease, gives a better texture, and provides both a vegetarian and a carnivorous option.

Make rice. Very traditional is to boil the rice as you would spaghetti, in large quantities of water and then strain. We usually make regular boiled rice, but steamed would work just fine as well.

Put rice in a bowl, cover with beans & juice, top with sausage and some diced onion, dash on some hot sauce, and bob’s yer uncle!

Or daal. It’s easy and quick, since it’s made from lentils, and really yummy. I’d have to look up my actual recipe for that, though.

I also love a good black bean soup, but I haven’t so far found the right recipe. There’s some herb or flavoring that’s frequently used in black beans but I don’t know what it is.

I find that just about any bean recipe can be improved with some sliced celery and shredded carrot. The carrot gives a nice color to the dish. You can also put in some tomato, either diced or canned sauce or paste, or V8 juice. I’m assuming that you already put diced onions in the beans. And if you aren’t, why not?

Lentils are quick cooking, and I sometimes add them to beef soups and stews. Brown rice is also quite good in beef dishes, and I generally don’t like brown rice.

I’ve been taught that corn and beans make a complete protein, and I regard cornbread or corn muffins as an excellent addition to a meal of beans. I try to justify this by telling myself that beans are a complex carb.

My family’s chili recipe includes both beans (kidney) and noodles (egg). We double down on the things “you don’t put in chili”. :slight_smile:

My slapdash chili receipe has 3 kinds of beans, kidney pinto and black, in it as well as corn… and I’m from Texxxxas.

I made a deeeelicious baked bean recipe I got from my SIL over the weekend. It lends itself well to tweaking:

5 cans of beans. Mix it up. I used 1 can black, 1 red kidney, and 2 big cans of plain baked beans.

Red pepper, chopped.
Poblano pepper, chopped.
3-5 Jalapeno peppers, chopped.
2 cloves garlic, minced.
Onion, chopped.

Pound of bacon, fried and chopped. I was running around like a CWMHCO, and forgot and burnt the bacon. So, I just poured about 1/2-3/4 cup of bacon fat into the beans. Perfect.

3/4 cup brown sugar. I will go lighter next time, they were borderline to sweet for me.

BBQ sauce if you want. I started adding but aborted after maybe a half cup. I didn’t think I’d need it, and I was right.

Recipe wanted dijon mustard; I didn’t use it.

Salt and Pepper.

Mix in a roastin pan (disposable aluminum is great) and bake at 350 or so for an hour or two, or until the veggies are the texture you prefer your veggies to be.

It made my house smell wooonderful. Of course, the roasting chicken, pumpkin pie, and mulling cider didn’t hurt the smell, either…occurs to me that you could crock this all day, too.

Bean tip #2: Cook black beans with taco seasoning and make tacos. Just as good as meat.

Just popping in to subscribe to the thread. I’ve got a few quarts of dry home-grown Turkey Craw beans and am interested in recipes!

Yes, I am Texan (good call mate!) and I was joking. Whatever floats your boat. I hope nobody took offense.

Well? Gonna share?:slight_smile:

Nobody took offense, but it was pretty funny to watch you take the bait. Particularly so, since it was labeled “BAIT” in bright blinking lights.

Well slap me with a wet noodle and call me a catfish. Glad I could amuse.

If you insist…:smiley:
Saute 1 diced medium yellow or other sweet onion and a couple cloves of minced garlic in a small amount of oil until transparent. Add to 1 lb of sorted and rinsed dried split peas in a large pot with 8-10 cups of water (you may need to add more water while cooking). Add a couple cans of chicken broth (use less water) or 2-3 chicken bullion cubes. Add 1 tsp marjoram, some fresh ground black pepper, and 1 tsp of red pepper flakes (I’ve never seen anyone else use these in this, but I love the little kick that they add to it). I usually will add some kind of pork- ham, sausage, even just some shredded leftover pork roast will do. Cook until done- 3-4 hours, usually. Add salt to taste at the end. I usually take some of the cooked peas off the bottom and blend them, then add them back in, to make the soup creamier, but that’s optional.

Chili- I do make it, but I’ve always considered it much more of a meat dish than a bean one.

Red beans and rice- yes! I may make that next.