Beat this for hard-to-understand pronuciation

Lafayette County, Florida, is pronounced "la-FEET’. Louisa Coiunty,Iowa, is “loo-WIZE-a”. Houston County, Alabama, is “HOUSE-ton”. Charlotte, Michigan, is “sha-LOTT”.

Beaufort: BOE-fert in NC, BYOU-fert in SC
Coos: ko-AHSS in NH, rhymes with goose in OR
DeKalb: de-COBB in GA, de-KALB in IL, de-CAB in AL and MO
Steuben: STOO-bin in NY, stoo-BENN in IN.

As is the street in Manhattan.

I’ve heard two variations on Blount: Blunt and Blaunt (or Blownt if it’s not a long O).

And the variations on Nashville are amusing, too.

Naish-vul
Naish-VILLE
Nash-vl
Nash-ville
Nash-vegas :smiley:

Cookeville TN is Coo-uh-vuh to residents.

Mufreesboro is Muffs-buh.

Of course there’s a list for that.

Chop-a-TOO-lass, right?

Visited New Orleans (with my native hubby) the first time after umpteen years of public school French. Mind. Blown. As far as place names went, I just learned to pronounce them like an “Okie from Muskogee” and that was close enough…weirded me out, though. We were living in St. Louis, too, and the same rules applied…

Hubby’s folks still live in the ninth ward, nothing too exotic thereabouts. :wink: His family sounds like Archie and Edith Bunker.

ETA: Help me out, here, aren’t they both “Nak-a-DOCH-es”?

Norfolk, England has many, not least:

Happisburgh
Wymondham
Tacolneston
Costessey

HAZEburruh, WINDum, TACKLEstun, COSSee

And there’s the story of an Australian in the Midlands looking for “Loogabarooga” (Loughborough, pronounced LUFFburruh)

Before I posted I kept saying it to myself, trying to decide in which syllable the stress falls To my ears it falls on the -TAH, but it also sometimes falls on the WISS.

It’s still wiss-tah, and definitely NOT woos-ter :slight_smile:

Except for an American history teacher I had years ago who pronounced in “salt”. During class break (so as not to embarrass him), I gently corrected him. He just shrugged and said “it doesn’t matter”. :smack:

They also pronounce Peabody as PEE-b’dee.

And Menzies - pronounced Ming-is (or Ming-us).

Here’s another Georgia one- Vidalia, as in the onion. People from Vidalia all say it’s pronounced vuh-DAY-uh.

Apparently the name “Raymond Luxury Yacht” is not pronounced anything like the way it’s spelled.

Also Fetherstonhaugh, pronounced “Fanshaw.”

From some movie I saw: Someone orders breakfast to go for several people. When he returns to the apartment or hotel room or whatever, he tells them something like, “Yeah, I was going to ask for those French pastries that everyone likes, but I wasn’t sure how to pronounce it, so I got donuts.”

Houston, which has a long Spanish tradition and a large Spanish-speaking population, manages to butcher place names going both ways:

San Felipe Road = “san-FIL-uh-pee.”
Humble (suburb north of Houston) = “UM-bull.”

:smack:

Vauthier, a street off of I-45 South in Texas, is pronounced vo-SHAY.

Hayti, Missouri, Chili, New York and Delhi, Louisiana all end with a Long-I sound. Hay-tye, Chigh-lye, and del-high. The counties of Henrico, Virginia, Louisa, Iowa, and Obion, Tennessee, are pronounced with a stressed Long-I in the middle syllable.

Miami and Leoti, in Kansas, are pronounced as if they end with an A.

In Wisconsin, Waupaca and Waukesha are waw-PACK-a, but WALK-ee-shaw. .

Thanks for pronunciation of Tacolneston – I’m originally from eastern England, knew the other three; but not that one. Another from Norfolk: Little Hautbois, the second part pronounced “HOB-iss”.

My favourite from Scotland: Kilconquhar, pronounced “Kin-YEWKH-ar”.

Magdalene College in Oxford is pronounced ‘Maudlin’

It’s not a place name, but surely “Colonel” being pronounced as “kernel” deserves a mention?

A