Beatles Fans: Famous Songs with No LP?

Can the Beatles fans of the SD help me ID where one would find the following songs on LP or CD…whether imported, or what? (I know there are some slight variations.) I have all the Beatles albums on CD except the Masters Vol I & II. I also have the “Red Album” and “Blue Album” Greatest Hits on CD of which the Red Album includes a catalog and listing of songs per album; yet, I cannot find the following songs which, according to Top 40 authority Joel Whitburn, are Beatles releases (as opposed to solos, for example): This should be a fun little test!

Paperback Writer
Lady Madonna
Don’t Let Me Down
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Hey Jude

Maybe I overlooked some of these titles when perusing my collection, but I am certain many do not appear on any of my CDs.

Thanks for your help (I need somebody…)! :slight_smile:

All of those songs were originally non-LP singles, and can be found since 1987 on “Past Masters.”

They’re also on the Red and Blue sets… for some reason I never think of those albums. “Paperback Writer” is on “1962-1966” and the remainder are on the other.

Yes. In fact, the whole point of the two “Past Masters” discs was to collect all the Beatles released recordings that weren’t otherwise available on the CD/LPs.

They were also released on a US LP called “Hey Jude” to collect the singles that weren’t included on the albums. I’m not sure that this was ever re-released on CD, though.

All of those except for Don’t Let Me Down can be found on 1. Don’t Let Me Down is on Let it Be… Naked.

And thank God, because how else would be be able to find the GOOD version of “Revolution”? (You know, the John McEnroe theme song)Obscure 80s commercial reference

Specifically, they’re all on Past Masters Volume Two (the white one).

Yes, you’re right. I have this on cassette, from back in the pre-CD days.

A little research on Amazon.com suggests that it does exist but isn’t readily available.

Anyhow, Past Masters Volume 2 is probably the easiest way to get what the OP wants on CD.

There is no legitimate CD of the Hey Jude collection. The one on Amazon is a bootleg…unless you believe that Apple really licensed the album to “Asia Records.” I’m surprised Amazon hasn’t pulled the listing.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Although they have been legitimately releasing the earlier Capitol (US) albums on CD.

I don’t get the reference, but damned if I don’t agree with you otherwise! The version on the blue album seriously rocks out.

I had to get the red album to get “She Loves You” and “I Want to Hold Your Hand.” It’s also got “We Can Work it Out” and “Day Tripper.” I have all the albums/LPs that were released on CD, but those songs as well as the ones in the OP seem to only be on the compilation/best of disks. Is there an album I’m missing?

Track listing for Past Masters, Volume One:

1. Love Me Do (Single Version)
  2. From Me To You
  3. Thank You Girl
  4. She Loves You
  5. I’ll Get You
  6. I Want To Hold Your Hand
  7. This Boy
  8. Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand (I Want To Hold Your Hand)
  9. Sie Liebt Dich (She Loves You)
  10. Long Tall Sally
  11. I Call Your Name
  12. Slow Down
  13. Matchbox
  14. I Feel Fine
  15. She’s a Woman
  16. Bad Boy
  17. Yes It Is
  18. I’m Down

and Volume Two:

1. Day Tripper
  2. We Can Work It Out
  3. Paperback Writer
  4. Rain
  5. Lady Madonna
  6. The Inner Light
  7. Hey Jude
  8. Revolution
  9. Get Back
  10. Don’t Let Me Down
  11. The Ballad Of John And Yoko
  12. Old Brown Shoe
  13. Across The Universe
  14. Let It Be
  15. You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)

(A couple of these are alternative versions from what appeared on other albums, like Let It Be.)

Again, the answer is the two Past Masters CDs, which contain all* of the Beatles’ songs that were not on their 13 canonical albums as released on CD. Of the four songs you mentioned, the first two are on Past Masters Volume One and the others on Volume Two.

• Not counting live recordings, BBC sessions, alternate mixes and takes, the 1995 “reunion” songs and other Anthology material, the Tony Sheridan recordings, and other assorted flotsam and jetsam.

Paperback Writer
Lady Madonna
Don’t Let Me Down
The Ballad of John and Yoko
Hey Jude

Except for “Don’t Let Me Down,” they’re all on the “1” CD

Nike put out a commercial featuring McEnroe with “Revolution” in the background. Hippie baby boomers were horrified at the thought of the Beatles being used to sell products for the Man. Or, they just didn’t want to think of John McEnroe when they heard that song. I assume it was a product of the McCartney/Jackson discussions, which led to Paul not controlling how the Beatles’ catalog was used. Raised in a classical and bluegrass house, the commercial was the first time I’d ever heard the song.

Jackson was involved in that, but Capitol Records made it possible. What Jackson owns are the publishing rights.

A number of Beatles singles were standalone releases on their own right, not a taken from a contemporaneous LP, at least in the Brit (Parlophone-EMI) releases – Capitol was known to slap together extra US “albums” from those singles plus the tracks they’d cut from US releases up to Revolver.