Beautiful/striking/or interesting brick structures

I have to do a presentation in a couple of weeks at a place where the slogan is “building communities one brick at a time”. The brick is the official logo of the initiative. (I didn’t choose it and don’t particularly like it, but… nobody asked me.)

Bricks are good for symbolism but they’re not one of the prettier building materials. Nevertheless for the graphics in my presentation I want to use as background pictures of really impressive brick buildings and structures. It doesn’t have to be a particular kind of brick- photos I’ve downloaded so far include glass bricks, ice bricks, Legos, blue glazed bricks, and of course red bricks. They won’t all make the cut.

Can anybody think of any brick structures, ancient or modern or anywhere in between, that you happen to think of as beautiful or impressive or striking or interesting?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chimneys at Hampton Court. The whole Palace is fairly well regarded, generally.

Battersea Power Station isn’t bad.

This granary in Bristol’s quite nice.

This is a more modern take, it’s a block of flats (apartment building) in Bermondsey, South London, imaginatively called “The Circle”.

I had to add this - it’s built from mud bricks. Cool.

My first thought was Milwaukee City Hall, but it’s only partially brick.

I love clinker brickwork like this or this. (Clinker bricks are imperfectly fired.) Maybe not “impressive” but I like it.

My favorite, a Mayan site:

Edit: though not sure what sort of “community” it represents …

I always thought the British Natural History Museum was amazing. I was struck by that building when I first saw it over 20 years ago and I still think it’s one of the most beautiful brick buildings I’ve ever seen. Another link to the website with a small slide show about the Waterhouse Building.

These are great- thanks all!

That is cool. What/where is that? Tibet?

St Pancras Railway Station?

The Anaconda Smelter Stack is the world’s tallest all masonry structure. The Washington Monument could fit inside it!

The base of the Eiffel tower.

ETA: Here’s a farther view, for perspective.

How about Quebec City’s beautiful Château Frontenac?

Or the Charles Bridge in Prague?

The Filoli Mansion and Gardens has some neat brick buildings, andwalkways.

Check out the Unitarian Universalist Fellowship in Athens, Ohio, which was built by brick sculptor John Spofforth. You need to get into about the third set of thumbnails to see the really interesting brickwork.

The Torre di Mangiain Siena is simply one of the most beautiful structures I have ever seen. Indeed the whole of the Campo and its surrounding buildings are just sublime. I sat for the longest time looking at the tower thinking “Its made of bricks yet it seems so light it could almost be floating above me.”

The Robie House by Frank Lloyd Wright…

http://designrumahku.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/11.jpg

The Bank of America building in Baltimore, AKA the Baltimore Trust

St. Paul’s Church in Chicago is sometimes called “the church without a nail” because it’s made entirely of brick—245 feet into the sky.

I think you should shoot for something grander.

How about this Segovia Aqueduct.

Or the Alcántara Bridge.

Acorn street on Beacon Hill.

And of course the Giza Pyramids.

They are all iconic, and all are symbols of civilization and community. An aqueduct is about feeding cities, a bridge connects communities, pyramids are about cooperation, Beacon Hill is about liberty and patriotism.

New York City needs representing:

Puck Building

Jefferson Market

The Dakota

Layer Marney Tower is a quite nice piece of Tudor brickwork in Essex, England ( Google images )

Oil sketch by Constable.