Beer of Choice

Jupiler? … shudder

And you didn’t stop in and say hi to me? I’m offended…

Anyway, I’m a great proponent of Yuengling. They make some great beers. Lager is definitely worth checking out.

Damn straight, skippy.

If I’m gonna sit and drink a half dozen or more, I prefer the Canadian lagers, like Molson Canadian, or Labatt Blue. If I’m having a beer with dinner it depends on what I’m eating. With beef, I like a dark beer, Sam Adams’ Cream Stout, or a St. Pauli Girl. With fish, I like something lighter. And if I’m eating ethnic food of any type, I try to go with something native to the area the food is originally from.

Thats howmuch I hate Hoegaareden… :slight_smile:

Can’t beat a nice Tsing Tao. I like a nice Budvar too. Not Budweiser, I’m not a sicko, but Budvar. On special occasions I may have a St. Paul’s Pale Ale.

But for every day beer, I tend to go for Heineken, or Carling Black Label. As long as it’s in sufficient quantities, I’m happy.

Fran

[Homer]Mmmmm…Bitburger…ddddooohhhhh[/Homer]

Bitte ein Bit*! Very nice. I also recall Henninger with great fondness. Can’t beat German Pils once you get it in your skin. I always preferred the Kristall Weizens over the Hefes, which I loved to drink outside at cafe’s with a slice of lemon floating in the top. The scary bit was that American biers were becoming quite chi-chi in Germany when last I was there, Bud and Miller were especially cool.

Also loved the time I visited my friend in Brussel and she took me down to the Benedictine L’Abbaye de Maredsous. Imagine fresh ales eaten outside in the Ardennes, with bread, cheese and sausage also fresh made by the Monks. Drool.

AS for American beers, gotta concur that Yeungling is quite nice.

Damn all yer hides, now I am quite thirsty, and there are no places like this anywhere nearby.

Someone has apparently spent too much time in Flanders. But, how can you not like Hoegaarden? My God. You probably can’t stand De Koninck, either. Ok, find a pub with a selection of jenevers, and see if they have an, ahem, sour-apple jenever (I’m not joking). Try a mix of the jenever with the hoegaarden or some other witbier, built like a depth-charge; I swear it’s like drinking an apple pie. Before the wacky recent fad we call ‘hops’ beer was often made with coriander.
Otherwise for efficiency’s sake, Quack or Delerium Tremens.
Although it’s most Mendocino Hop Ottin’ or something in the house these days.

For me there’s no going wrong with a Samual Adams. Which Sammy you ask? That’s the great thing. As a general rule you’ll never get hosed on a Sam. You might prefer one over the other, but if you enjoy beer (or at least understand that some beers are for ‘drinking’ and other for ‘drunking’) you should enjoy all the Sams.

For me, though, Sam’s White Ale is the nectar of the gods. Clear and crisp, but with great fruit flavors and a nice dryness. You can drink them all night.

A word of warning though: don’t buy cheep beer. It’s not because of any snootiness. Just consider: You pay $3 a crap beer in a bar and don’t mind doing it. Think how you would feel if you put a case of the same beer on the counter of a package store and they wanted $75 for it?!? You’d punch them in the throat!

So why cheap out on yourself. Good beer runs around a dollar a beer. If you’re taking it home (and your cheap ass friends aren’t gonna drink it all) spend the money.

Welcome to the SD and ‘Nos Drovia’

So I read through this thread yesterday afternoon, then go down to Jungle Jim’s* to grab some fruits and veggies and various sundry items. I had forgotten that as you first enter this place, there is a quite large beer and wine section, followed by a smaller, slightly more eclectic single beer section. So many countries, so many choices. Unfortunately I did not spot any Maisel’s for Skerri, but there were probably about a thousand or more different beers there, so I may well have missed it. There really is a dizzying array of boutique American beers now, so comments on favourites from these would be welcome from the TM.

But what really caught my eye was the small floor display they had for Singha beer. The price was $12.99. A six pack. Now I can get as nostalgic as the next guy, but this beer is not a premium quality beer. It tastes okay with Thai food, but it sells for about fifty cents a quart in Thailand, less if you buy in a grocery store or wholesale. Understand it must take a lot to get it here, but give me a break. Rumor has it that all beers brewed in Thailand (including Heineken and Amstel) are made with formaldehyde to keep them stable in the heat and add to the shelf life. Don’t know if that’s true or just the Brits dissing the locals there, but it does kind of taste that way. Just a comment that this was probably the cheapest beer (in terms of production costs) in the store, and had about the highest six pack price.

*[sub]Jungle Jim’s is a huge and fun local grocery which has a cool selection of lots of different foreign foods, beers, a large Asian produce section, and several animatronic singing animals, including a lion that does Elvis. Definitely worth checking out if you happen to live in Southwest Ohio area. [/sub]

Harp Lager
Carlsberg Lager
Samuel Adams Boston Lager, draft
Michelob Amberbock