Before they were famous

According to the full cast listing for Quo Vadis (1951) both Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren (hubba hubba) had uncredited roles as slaves or eye candy. I saw this movie not too long ago on TCM or Retroplex and, armed with this bit of trivia, tried to pick them out. No luck.

Bonanza was famous for this. Charles Bronson played various Mexican villians. DeForest Kelly played a drunk surgeon who, when Ben told him to operate on Hoss, replied “I’m not a surgeon. I’m a drunk.”

The Lords of Flatbush had Sylvester Stallone, Henry Winkler and Susan Blakely.

The TV broadcast of Wendy Wasserman’s first play Uncommon Women and Others had Meryl Streep, Swoosie Kurtz, and Jill Eikenberry.

Jeremy Irons’s first professional gig was John the Baptist/Judas in the Original London cast of Godspell, a cast that also included Gay Sopher, Marti Webb, David Essex and Julie Covington, all of them have had good theatre careers.

Quite so. Landon was the albino dowsing boy in the delightful God’s Little Acre and McQueen had a tiny part in Newman’s breakout Somebody Up There Likes Me. The latter case started a rivalry that wasn’t satisfied until they both had lead billing in The Towering Inferno. McQueen always felt he was in Newman’s shadow, just as Newman had felt he was following James Dean. (He and Dean were in a screen test for East of Eden which Newman lost out on.)

Jack Nicholson was also in Love Story, as one of Ryan O’Neal’s buddies…

I love Remember the Titans and Heroes! I can’t believe I never made the connection!

Bill Paxton in Terminator.

Arnold " your clobes gib dem to me"

Bill " Screw you asshole"

or something like that.

He’s the Rebel officer on Hoth who tells Leia that they have to close the base doors while Luke is still missing. Here’s a pic.

Cliff is on Hoth. He’s the one who says “Your TaunTaun will freeze before you reach the first marker.”

There’s also a brief shot of the tarantula in the psychedelic bar scene in Coogan’s Bluff.

His co-star David “Angel” Boreanaz was on the show as well as one of Kelly’s boyfriends. It was his first role with a character name. Another of his role’s was, ironically, as “Vampire’s Victim” in a movie called Macabre Pair of Shorts.

Chuck Liddell was in the 1981 Jack Nicholson film “The Postman Always Rings Twice.” He plays a boy scout Nicholson tells to scram. He would have been about 10 or 11 at the time.

Ajax, James Remar’s character. :slight_smile:

I was watching an episode of the original Flipper, and Burt Reynolds guest starred as a bad guy. It didn’t really look like him, either, except in certain shots.

He looks like Jamie Hyneman in that pic.

I didn’t actually see this - nobody ever will - but I stumbled across it whole researching a project on the early days of television. It was a still from a production of Hay Fever, a Noel Coward play given over NBC’s experimental TV station in 1939. In the background playing a supporting role was a very young, probably teen-age, Montgomery Clift. It was amazing to realzie that before he ever made a movie, or even established himself as a stage actor, here he was on TV - back when TV didn’t even mean anything.

Didn’t Kurt Russell appear in some early Disney movies as a child?

Almost all of them.

Watch practically any episode of the original Twilight Zone, and you’re almost certain to see someone who either had been famous in earlier decades or would become famous in later decades. Ed Wynn, Cecil Kellaway, and Agnes Moorehead fall in the former category, and the latter category, just off the top of my head, includes:

William Shatner
Robert Redford
Jack Klugman
Jonathan Winters (in a rare straight role as the ghost of a pool player, opposite Klugman)
Elizabeth Montgomery
Peter Falk
Martin Landau
Dick York
Ronnie Howard
Burgess Meredith
Fritz Weaver
Martin Milner
Orson Bean
Inger Stevens
Sydney Pollack
Cloris Leachman

I’m sure my fellow Dopers can think of lots more.

Oh, and BTW, Bill Paxton also played Anthony Michael Hall’s bullying older brother in Weird Science.

Video games have introduced me to a couple. There’s the oft-mentioned Hayden Panettiere as Kairi in the Square-Enix/Disney fusion series Kingdom Hearts (if there’s ever a KH3, she might be slightly more expensive to get back). Also, years ago, I played Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete, which included a voice cast interview on a DVD. The protagonist was voiced by a good looking young man with the memorable/unusual name of Ashley Angel. Who knew he’d get hot years later for being in a reality show-manufactured boy band?

The Friends rerun last night was The One Where Monica & Chandler are buying a house and Joey doesn’t want them to. Joey has a talk with the 8 year old daughter of the people selling the house who doesn’t want them to sell it. The child was played by Dakota Fanning.

Dakota Fanning was also in an early CSI. There had been a brutal murder (of course, it’s “CSI”), and she was one of the witnesses. Grissom is talking to her outside the house, trying to get some info. And she’s saying nothing. Just blinking, slowly. And those big eyes have cut to a different direction between blinks. Very captivating scene. I had no idea who she was, but I thought at the time, “She’s probably going to be making some serious money soon.”

I live in Florida. It’s filled with attractive people. She’d be just another.