Beginning of the Hernandez-Romero incident

OK so the referee Hernandez kneed the player Romero in the crotch during an argument about a controversial American goal. I’ve watch the goal with Spanish commentary, but cannot understand what the controversy about the goal itself was. Any help?

This video seems to capture the whole incident. There were claims of handball on the corner into the box. Probably correct, too, but I haven’t seen a good replay of that.

Now that you mention it I can see the Mexican players tapping their arms so yes they seem to be sayi8ng a hand ball which the video doesn’t show as if it happens we only see the player’s back.

Thanks

The outcome of the kneeing looks like a classic flop.

I don’t have any comment on that particular play, but do want to note that both teams are Mexican teams. The team in question is Club América from Mexico City, not a team from the United States.

And just to confuse things further, there was a “Team America” that played in NASL for one year, in an effort to boost the U.S. men’s national soccer team:

This was two decades before the Trey Parker/Matt Stone feature Team America: World Police.

I’m quite sure the victim still can continue his family planning, but a kneeing to the groin by a ref is still a very shitty thing, and I could understand that he went down by sheer reflex and surprise. And don’t forget that the balls are very sensitive for pain.

ETA: I’ve watched the whole sequence, and even without the kneeing the referee handled the situation horribly.