Being told I have to take captured raccoons 5 miles+ away or else they return. Say what?

I was told by a wildlife expert that we can’t relocated any captured animal b/c they could be rejected by animals already living there and the captured animal could be a carrier of an illness that would spread other animals.

Sorry, I don’t have much sympathy for a wild animal in my kitchen.

If I trap him and relocate him he MIGHT live. If I just kill him he’s really, truly dead. Adding to the problem is that I do not at this time have a certain way to kill one more or less instantly.

Like I said, the most recent infestation I hired a professional and he took the animal away. Whether he relocated it or euthanized it I frankly do not care.

I am in so. Arkansas, I ain’t eating no stinking coon. I would have to live in a real apocalypse of some sort for that to happen. Mr.Wrekker killed a turkey with his bow, and I am worried about that for thanksgiving dinner. Yuk!

23 feet. That’s how far to take the trash can to the street.

So remember, always train your captured raccoons in the use of social media before releasing them into a strange environment.

If you trap him, seal the entrance and let him go locally, he will live.

Sealing the entrance is important.

We had them in our attic two Springs ago. We called the exterminator, he put a trap on the roof, baited it with cat food, taped up the entrance and in three weeks, no raccoon and the tape hadn’t been disturbed- so we figured we were good and he did a little roof repair and no raccoon raves over our heads while we try and sleep since.

They did fall through the soffit, so perhaps they just abandoned our attic as not having a stable enough floor? Or maybe they went out the night before we called and got hit by a car?

(Raccoon raves sound like they are quite the party)

Ok, the five miles - is that 5 miles by car, or 5 miles as the crow flies?

Oh, really?

Would you care to come over here and repair the raccoon-sized hole one of the little bastards clawed into the back door of one of the second-floor units in this building? They’re amazingly destructive.

We have more raccoons than the local area can support. That’s one reason why so many are coming into buildings right now. I captured 3 in 4 days. You release them locally they’ll just dig their way back into buildings again because it’s warm, dry, and they’ve learned there’s food inside.

Weird. I saw a documentary about raccoons about two years ago (Raccoon Nation), and they said raccoons have a very small territory for animals their size - only about a mile.

Territory size is going to depend on the resources available in that territory.

No need to tag them. No need to go 5 miles. Simply, upon release, wag a finger at them and say, “and don’t you come back!”.

Seriously, though, it would not surprise me that a raccoon could and would find his way back a couple miles to his ‘home’. I know this doesn’t prove anything, but I once took a cat to a vet located around 5 miles from home. He got away from me as I was carrying him into the office and took off. He showed up back at home about a week later.
mmm

Grey squirrels are very intelligent, social creatures…they communicate through tail movements, vocalizations and scent markings…two miles from his home is nothing for a squirrel…

I understand you are asking a practical question, not a legal one. But local laws (sometimes) reflect reality.

I was told by our local animal control officer that by law I needed to either relocate the possum (or any other critter) over 5 miles away, or release where captured, or kill it humanely.

He also told me if I relocated it 5 miles away it would not survive. Other animals were already there, taking their places in the ecosystem. Eating food, fighting, etc.

It makes sense that a wide ranging roamer like a raccoon would try to return home, simply because of the pressure it would get from other wildlife taking up resources.

I think 5 miles is more realistic, but understand it may come to a sad end regardless.

Life is hard.

True that. Additionally, raccoons (along with bats, skunks, and fox) are vectors for rabies virus. I’d rather kill the ones I trap in our barn, but my gf would rather I relocate them. If relocation carries a poor prognosis for survival, I can accept that.

I’ve seen them described as “trash pandas”. :stuck_out_tongue:

They’re persistent varmints, that’s for sure. Animals often have homing mechanisms we can’t understand.