Believers in faith healing: why doesn't God restore amputated limbs?

Not enough for me, at any rate, for several reasons:
(1) These healings aren’t documented by CNN or by IMPACT (whatever that is). CNN / IMPACT has only the assertions of Benny Hinn;
(2) The OP and others specifically asked about the regrowth or regeneration of amputated limbs. “A variety of illnesses” might or might not include amputation; probably not, since an amputation is not, in and of itself, an illness;
(3) The OP and others specifically disallowed conditions which either can’t be externally verified (e.g. pain) or which have been documented to undergo spontaneous remission (e.g. cancer).

You’re offering a collection of anecdotes about people with conditions that aren’t relevant to the discussion. This does not satisfy the OP’s challenge.

ETA: Beaten to it by several posters.

puddlegum, I hope this is the same report you mentioned as you didn’t provide a link.

From the above.

Also, though the report states the healings are documented, no cite is provided.

Claiming to be healed is not the same as proof.

Matthew 5, 29 and 30:

“29”: And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

“30”: And if thy right hand offend thee, cut if off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

AFAIK, nowhere in the Bible does it mention praying for the restoration of said body parts.

It’s also something the human body cannot do, even with the best efforts of medical science.

Tumors can go away just because your body wins the fight. Sometimes yolur immunse system loses, and sometimes it wins; you don’t know if it was a miracle or just white blood cells. The case of “a miracle” cited in the linked web site of a teenager who recovered from symptomatic rabies (normally invariably fatal) was a case where an extremely unusual and aggressive method of medical treatment was attempted, which appears to have been the likely reason the girl survived. MAYBE it was a miracle. But you don’t know for sure. It could have been the treatment.

But if you grow back a damn leg, it’s a miracle, unless you’re a salamander.

It’s the PERFECT test of the power of prayer.

I’m not smart enough to link to your story from a non-reputable source but out of idle curiosity, I’d like to know:

1.0 Who is John L.; that is to say, what is his full name and can his membership in the profession of Professional Wrestling be documented?

2.0 Who is the alleged faith healer and can his name be verified? I mean, Jenkins is a common name surname and it might even be a given name; it is hardly enough to go on in establishing bona fides.

3.0 Who is the “bewildered orthopedic surgeon” and can his name and credentials be verified?

No one claims that everyone is healed by faith healing, you claimed no one is. CNN claims that 24 people were healed and they investigated the claims and corroborated the claims with the people and their doctors. Someone said they wanted a reputable news organization, I provided one.
Apparently some people will only accept the amputated limbs and some people will accept other healings. If your an amputations only person, no luck so far.

Skald, for the benefit of those who wish to participate in this discussion, would you please define “documentation” and “reputable?”

Show of hands: How may here read that and imagined the faith healer running headlong into the room, shouting his battle cry, “LEEEE-ROYYY JENKINS!!!”?

Faking a “short” leg getting longer is an very old “faith healer” aka fraud trick. You might as well cite a conjurer’s ability to pull rabbits out of a hat as proof he has mystic powers.

Since the thread is entitled, “Believers in faith healing: why doesn’t God restore amputated limbs?” I’d say that other examples are inappropriate.

Nowhere in the article you linked, which actually says the opposite of what you claim, does it say CNN investigated claims and corroborated with doctors. If you actually bothered to read the article, you’ll see that Hinn provided some examples, but when these examples were investigated, they were all found to be false. People who have been cured of cancer do not die of cancer 4 weeks later.

No, you linked to a site that is dedicated to debunking the things you claimed, who’s article claimed the exact opposite of what you claimed.

The OP asked for documented proof of a restored amputated limb, so far, you have nothing.

I didn’t bring the terms into the discussion, and though I’m arrogant, self-important, and recursively self-referential, I’m not sure I’ve given the terms enough thought to do as you request. Taking a swing, I’d guess that “reputable” would mean a peer-reviewed journal, or at the very least multiple investigative reporters, and documentation would mean that there would have to be verification of the alleged healee’s prior amputated state through photographs or some such.

Those aren’t my criteria, by the way. Given the prevalence of computer-generated imagery and special effects, things seen on video are doomed to be dubious nowadays. But if God existed and wished to convert me, he could very easily make my friend’s leg regrow the next time we are together. Or giant flaming letters in the sky. Or bring my son back to life.

Reading over the above, I’m sure kanicbird and our resident marsh-wiggle may quote something to the effect that those who ask for signs are beign sinful. I counter that, according to Acts, Paul of Tarsus–notorious sinner and accomplice to murder–received a quite dramatic sign that brought him to the side of goodness, hugs, kittens, & homophobia. Why can’t this happen to others?

In my post #25; I am now aware that Jenkins has the given name of Leroy. Sorry.

Imagine if you had access to Wizard Mode for life on earth. You could go in and tweak a cell here, a molecule there. You could decide the outcomes of “random” events at the quantum level. But you can’t do anything that goes against the laws of physics. I think (though IANAE) that under these circumstances there is a lot of healing you could do, but that restoring lost limbs (at least those of a human being rather than a starfish or daddy-longlegs) would not be possible.

I believe that God responds to, and often acts in answer to, prayer, but that very very rarely are these responses miraculous in the sense of subverting the laws by which the universe normally runs. And that some forms of healing are possible through such less-than-miraculous initervention, but restoration of amputated limbs is an example of something that is not.

The news articles are not documentation, no matter how reputable the source. CNN does not claim that people were healed; they reported that people claimed they were healed. It’s a subtle difference that is in fact a huge difference.

If you want to document a faith healing, I’d say you need to do medical exams and take measurements before and after the healing. For example, if you wanted documentation of a healing of someone with emphysema, you’d need at least x-rays, blood-oxygen levels, and measurements of lung capacity. In the case of the kid whose leg “grew” the documentation you’ve so far provided consists of people saying “It happened, I swear it, I saw it with my own eyes! And some doctor saw it too BTW.” There should be the firsthand testimony of the unnamed doctor, plus x-rays and measurements showing the difference before and after. That could be considered evidence. Those have not been provided. This is an anecdote, not documentation.

ETA: LEEEEEROOOOOYYY JENNKINNNNNS!

Does that set off anyone else’s BS meter?

As much as I like jumping into a religion-spiking discussion, it’s hard to get excited when the complaint is covered by the stock answer “mysterious ways”.

So how, then, can the faithful assert other things about Him? Thinks like “prayer works.” Or “God healed me.”

You can’t claim to know how He’s operating when good things happen and then turn around and say it’s impossible to understand God when bad things happen.

Then you’re talking about a Demiurge.

That argument works fine for Odin, Zeus,or Galactus. But from an self-existent, eternal deity who is responsible for all that exists, it makes no sense.

I’m a writer. For purposes of the universe of my story, I am God. I reached a point in the narrative recently in which I realized that two characters I had just killed were necessary for the protagonist’s tale to continue satisfactorially, so I reached down with my immortal hands and resurrected them. (I killed two other characters in their place, but only because I’m a dick.) One character in the story is basically an amputee; I can give her her fingers back whenever the hell I want, because I create the laws of physics for this story.

Shouldn’t God be just as omnipotent as Skald-the-mediocre-novelist? Not to mention less of a dick, as I am currently torturing the story’s protagonists because I like the plot better that way; I screw them over endlessly to make a good story. But, you know, I’m a dick.

This strikes me as along the lines of:

“Only those who share my delusions can see the delusions.”