Believers in faith healing: why doesn't God restore amputated limbs?

A few days back I started a post about my brother-in-law’s attempt to treat his high blood glucose with the power of prayer; here’s a link. In that thread, **kanicbird **has asserted that God may, in fact, answer my brother-in-law’s prayers, if so He/She/It/They desire. As the original source of my vexation is no longer a live issue (my niece persuaded her father to go to the doctor by by being cute, weepy, and fourteen), I thought I’d open a thread for a debate, and do it here in the hopes that it would be a mite, ah, calmer than in the Pit.

So, to kanicbird (and even Polycarp, who has also chimed in in the original thread):

If an omnipotent, benevolent, interventionst Deity exists, why doesn’t He/She/It/They restore amputated limbs?
I have friends who are amputees. If either of them regrew their missing feet and attested the healing to the power of Jesus, or Dionysus, or Galactus, I’d abandon my skepticism. Hell, I think even Sam Harris, under such circumstances, would say “Holy crap!”

So why doesn’t this happen? Why don’t people even PRAY for this to happen? Of the two amputees I know, one is a Pentecostal Christian who has, in my presence, participated in intercessory prayer sessions for miraculous healing, and been the recipient of such prayers. I’ve NEVER heard anyone suggest that God bring his leg back.

Thoughts?

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/

If we could understand 100 percent about God then he would not be God or we would have to become omniscient like God is. So unless someone on the board is omniscient(Sam Stone?) you will not get an answer.
What is so special about an amputated limb? Why is that your cutoff? Why not a healing from cancer or a broken leg?

Heh, heh.

How do you know that?

[jackass off/]

A missing limb is easy to see; its restoration would be trivial to verify. (“Hey, Skaldimus, look!” my friend could yell. “I’m doing the foxtrot with Mrs. Rhymer!”) Tumors are frequently not. Were my friend to suddenly regrow his missing leg, I would, as I wrote in the OP, be convinced that something preternatural was going on, whereas a seeming remission of cancer is not nearly as persuasive, as it is impossible for the layman to verify and as it sometimes happens on its own.

The only ailments that seem to be cured by faith healing are “invisible”. You can’t see the cancer, epilepsy, diabetes, migraine headache, etc. Visible injuries like amputations, severe burns or scarring are never healed. Even with the person onstage in a wheelchair, you can’t “see” the paralysis.

Because people of all faiths survive cancer and heal broken bones at about the same rate, which implies that healing from cancer or broken bones is not (at least not always) miraculous. Which means that any single case of someone being cured by prayer for one of those things could be a coincidence, rather than a miracle.

However, since no one has ever regrown an amputated limb, that would be, well, pretty miraculous. I’m sure other diseases/ailments could be chosen, but lost limbs are good because they’re very well understood.

If a visible healing occured would you believe then?

I’ve realize that you’re asking runnerpat, and I’ve already said that I would be persauded that something preternatural was going on, but I’m going to answer as it gives me the opportunity to call you a Narnian.

Why, yes I would, my Narnian friend. Any honest Marsh-wiggle would.

Why don’t we get such healings?

Yes, if I saw it or it was verified in a reputable journal or news agency.

The way to God through Jesus works entirely on faith. God so perfectly controls the universe that he can heal anything and even raise the dead in a way that the general population never realizes. God wants to reveal Himself personally to people who seek.

There are many many things that are hidden, I’m not sure how it works, but I know it exists as I’ve seen it, not healing/restoring of limbs, but things that only certain people, people of strong faith, can remember, while others don’t remember, even one reported extreme memory loss that blocked out the entire event.

I can assure you that the scriptures about the power of God is very real and happening today, just as in the early church.

The way is to seek the Lord Jesus, make Him your king and you His subject, live to serve Him. He will give you His work to do and set you on a journey which may or may not include healing.

As for faith healing, the motivation of the heart is wrong, seeking a cure/restoration can not be your motivation, though you can ask the Lord, and He certainly may grant your request.

But you will NOT find it in a reputable journal, if you did it would not be of God. God provides it through the scriptures, which is through His Prophets and Saints, to quote one:

"

If you don’t listen (by you heart) to the Word of God, you will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead (and is made known through a ‘reputable’ journal.

And how reputable can a journal be next to the Word of God?

A short bit of googling provides CNN as a reputable news agency. From Transcript of CNN Impact/March 16, 1997:

Two dozen healings documented by CNN, is this enough?

Oh, my God! :smiley:

This site is what I’ve been looking for. I’ve gotta bookmark it for now and really spend some time with it. Thank you!

From **runnerpat’s **link:

“In a similar vein, many believers will say, “God always answers prayers, but sometimes his answer is ‘no.’ If your prayer does not fit with God’s will, then God will say ‘no’ to you.” This feels odd because God’s answer to every amputee is always “no” when it comes to regenerating lost limbs. Jesus says, “If you ask anything in my name, I will do it.” He does not say, “If you ask anything in my name, I will do it, unless you are praying about an amputated limb, in which case I will always reject your prayer.” Jesus also says, “Nothing will be impossible to you,” and regenerating a limb should therefore be possible. The fact that God refuses to answer every prayer to regenerate a lost limb seems strange, doesn’t it?”

Yup!

Not quite an amputated limb, but a shrunken one. From a story by Sports Illustrated Feb 2004 on Tom Pappas:

First, you would have to convince me that the healings were not the result of a placebo effect.
Second, no, CNN isn’t the sort of reputable journal people are talking about here.

Nor is Sports Illustrated, before you ask.

I fear the Lion would be distressed by your disingenous answer.

In the first place, it is not enough to say ‘a bit of googling.’ Kindly provide the links you found, so we know exactly what you’re talking about.

Secondly, please leave the goalposts in their original position, as the beavers, centaurs, and dwarrows worked all night putting them in place. Can you provide examples of amputated limbs spontaneously regrowing after intervention by a faith healer?

Is it so hard to provide a link? It can’t be any harder than violating copyright, and doesn’t involve, well, violating copyright. :slight_smile:

We’re not asking to understand 100%. Just one thing. One grain of sand on a beach the size of the galaxy.

Oh holy crap this is too easy. Keep reading, you know, very next paragraph:

You’re honestly going to Benny Hinn for a verified healing? Wow, you couldn’t have picked a worse example. He’s a well known fake healer.