Besides “method”, what other styles of acting are there?

I’ve heard of “method acting” which, if I understand correctly, is a style of acting where the actor tries to experience the emotions of the character, usually by actually experiencing some facets of the character’s life (such as by isolating themselves, or adopting an accent), and by staying in character throughout the filming.

So, what other “types” of acting are there? I’ve never heard of others. Is there a style that would be the opposite of method, some sort of “just deliver the lines” instruction? As a mere watcher of acting, I can’t really think of any other styles to even imagine.

What’s the straight dope?

Actually Mamet says that very thing

“Just say the fucking lines you fucking cock. Don’t try and live in the moment. It’s my fucking job to make sure it all comes across. You just say the line you fucking walking bag of meat.”

Well…something like that

I recall reading somewhere that Spencer Tracy told a method actor to “just know your lines and don’t bump into the furniture.”

Here’s four others: Classical Acting, The Chekhov Acting Technique, Meisner Acting Technique & Practical Aesthetics Acting Technique

Details here.

I think method acting is in contrast to character acting.

Who was it? James Mason? Peter O’Toole? Harrison Ford? IIRC someone like that said their technique was, “Let’s pretend.”

It’s possible you’re thinking of this:

which I found on the TVTropes page about Method acting but have seen before elsewhere.

Mamet does say, in the introduction to A Practical Handbook for the Actor:

It is an excellent, short synthesis of an acting course conducted by David Mamet and William H. Macy.

There is also the Larry Storch School of Acting that Kelly Bundy attended.

I’ll let myself out, no need to get pushy.

If there was ever a dream couple of TV acting…

With respect, I disagree with your explanation of method acting. Very, very few actors stay in character at all times, day and night. The fact that Val Kilmer remained in character as Jim Morrison throughout shooting (at least while on the set; I don’t know about off) and insisted on being addressed as “Jim” became well known precisely because it was unusual. (And, FWIW, many actors of my acquaintance thought it was ridiculous.)

My understanding of method acting — and I’m prepared to be corrected on this — is that you find some experience in your own life when your emotions paralleled the ones your character is feeling in the scene and draw on that.

For example, if your character has just learned that his wife has died, you remember how you felt when your dad died. You bring those emotions up and experience them again, this time as the character.

It’s my understanding that a lot of different techniques are lumped into “Method” that really aren’t. Or they are offshoots that evolved out of Method. Kind of like calling a therapist Freudian because you can draw a line ten steps back to Freud.

By no means a definitive explanation - but my own simplified description.

Method acting tries to get you to feel how the character feels. Non-method acting tries to get you to behave how the character behaves.

Another way of looking at it is Method works from the inside out, whereas non-Method works from the outside in.

For example, Olivier is said to notate his lines in a way not unlike musical scoring, to indicate raising and lowering inflection, volume, pacing, etc. That is the very definition of outside in. Whereas a Method actor would work on the emotional underpinning of the scene, and the lines would come out however they came out.

There is the possibly apocryphal anecdote about an exchange between Dustin Hoffman and Olivier: here

Post 7.

Daniel Day-Lewis is known for really, really getting into - and often staying in - character. When he was filming The Last of the Mohicans, the story goes, he carried his flintlock rifle around with him even after hours.

There’s Joey Tribiani “Smell the fart” acting.

Watch and learn from the master: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c4YhwpiaKU

I recall reading somewhere that Spencer Tracy told a method actor to “just know your lines and don’t bump into the furniture.”

Laurence Olivier put it a bit more tactfully to Dustin Hoffman.

“Why don’t you try acting, dear boy?”

Does anyone know if an old-school, non-method actor, like maybe Laurence Olivier, ever said anything to a young method actor such as, i dunno, Dustin Hoffman on the subject?

I heard it happened once, in 1960, for about 20 minutes. Rio by Duran Duran was playing in the background.