Besides Turkey (and Thanksgiving Fixins) What Foods Are Only/Usually Eaten Seasonally?

True, although I meant more along the lines of “people eat hot dogs and hamburgers in spring/summer/fall because the weather’s nice”, and “people eat stew and chili, and other hearty hot foods in the winter because it’s cold.”.

I meant more like are there specific 4th of July foods, or Labor Day foods, or Juneteenth foods that people eat that are specific to those holidays, and not just commonplace hot weather foods?

As mentioned above, there are a ton of foods special to passover. The exact mix varies by family, but passover is as much about the food as Thanksgiving, and has more courses.

And my mom liked hot cross buns near Easter. And the one time i celebrated Juneteenth i looked up what might be traditional foods, and decided to do red velvet cake, which was enough of a hit that I’ll probably do it if i celebrate Juneteenth in the future. And boxes of chocolate and conversation hearts are associated with Valentine’s day. And candy with Halloween.

my family isn’t the most consistent but we eat rice with shrimp every thanksgiving. a weird combination when i first heard of it but its good when you try it out especially with vegetables on it.

Or Jambalaya! Rice with shrimp is not weird.

I haven’t seen pączki mentioned yet. Whenever it is they’re available (Easter?) we buy a box. When the box is gone my gf buys another. And so on until they aren’t available.

I did in post 18, but we see them in Detroit on Fat Tuesday. Never saw them on Easter, but why not both? You get to eat more after Easter that way.

Many possibilities!

Seeing pączki reminded me of fasnachtsküchle , also traditionally eaten on Fat Tuesday.

I don’t know if it’s already been mentioned - but the traditional Fat Tuesday/Mardi Gras foods are traditional because they were intended to use up the butter eggs and lard before Lent began.

What about candies? (Unless I missed a post!)

Candy canes
Those chocolate/orange balls that you smack on the table and it breaks into orange-like wedges (LOVE em)
Candy corn
Peeps
Ribbon candy
Chocolate rabbits
Chocolate Santas

I’m sure there are a lot more. This is all I can think of right now.

Oh, right. Latkes and donuts and chocolate coins for Hanukkah. Hamentaschen for Purim.

Sheer khurma - Wikipedia (roughly translated as milk and dates in Persian/Farsi) is a dish normally consumed at Eid in Pakistan, India, Afghanistan and some central Asian Muslim countries.

In Jamaica, Rice&Peas is traditionally eaten on Sundays. Vacationing in St Martin, Ive on several occasions had Jamaicans tell me how odd I looked eating Rice&Peas on a weekday evening.

I only eat a bowl of snow with maple syrup poured over it in winter. It’s really best with powder.

i miss having rabbit regularly

I actually sprung for goose this year for Christmas- I’ve never had it before. Ended up paying $70 but consider myself lucky not to have had to pay double that. My brother is the better cook of the two of us and he’s working on a recipe.

I personally think goose is a delicious bird. My mother made it for the holidays once (for a change her family was visiting, not my Step-fathers) and it was amazing, but as you pointed out, a touch pricey. I’ve never bothered because I’m rarely cooking for more than 4 at most. Which is why I rarely make a turkey either - too much food, even when I set aside much of it for stockmaking.

What I find perfect for 2-4 people is a duck. And I never need an excuse to cook it. It’s not as cheap as the mass produced turkeys, but it’s still a decent price and the size is right. And it makes a very elegant Asian inspired light stock to be seasoned with good soy sauce. Yum.

This American has never eaten goose, nor do I know anyone who has*. In goose-eating Christian cultures (I’m guessing UK and the rest of Europe, at a minimum), is it only eaten around Christmas?

*Goose is available here; I’ve seen it at Walmart and have actually considered giving it a try. And it’s also likely that I know some hunter who’s shot and killed a wild one, but I’ve never asked.

My German-background grandmother in Michigan always had creamed herring on New Years Eve. I think the silvery fish is said to bring fortune in the new year.

In England, at least, turkey began displacing goose at Christmas early in the Victorian era, but it was more expensive. (Remember toward the end of A Christmas Carol, when Scrooge tosses a coin to the boy on the street and tells him to buy the fat turkey in the butcher’s window? That would have been considered an extravagance in 1843.)

Modern turkeys, which are bred to produce tons of succulent meat, are nothing like the birds that were eaten even 100 years ago. Wild turkeys, which might have been eaten in early America, are game birds that are much leaner.

I’m not even sure they were a Christmas or Thanksgiving tradition before the 19th century. Venison was probably what the Pilgrims ate in 1621.