Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1973

Jeez, what a crappy year. No vote from me.

And have I mentioned that George Harrison’s Living in the Material World has to be one of the biggest disappointments in rock n’ roll history? Two and a half years after the absolutely magnificent All Things Must Pass - a looooong time between albums, back then - he releases an album full of this tinny crap. “Give Me Love,” a passable but hardly great song, was easily the standout song from the album.

Stevie’s “Superstition” followed by “Let’s Get It On” and then “Love Train”.

1974 is next!:eek: That one’s going to be tough.

Huh. That’s interesting. The Wikipedia page on Frankenstein describes Winter as being the first performer to wear a keyboard, and the page on the keytar itself mentions Winter in a similar context. Ignorance fought!

…and there ya have it. Me, too.

I voted for Marvin Gaye but I’ve been walking around ever since I took the poll singing “All I’ve got is a photograph” so I decided I should have given Ringo some love. Very catchy, very pop.

I went with Crocodile ROck because it’s one of the few songs from this era that actually rock.

I voted for Crocodile Rock because when we drove from Boston to Cape Kennedy to see Apollo 17 in Dec. 72 it was on the radio every five minutes and I still don’t hate it. Unlike the other songs on then.

Frankenstein was on every five minutes that summer when I worked in a lab, and if I never hear it again it will be too soon. You’re So Vain was good the first 100 times I heard it.

Is this the easiest multiple choice poll ever created? Superstition for me, no question.

Wow, what a great year, I like easily 10+ of these songs. I confess to a strong singalong fondness for “Delta Dawn”, but in the end voted for George Harrison’s perpetually relaxed “Give Me Love”.

Twenty years ago I might have voted for “Superstition”, but I’m just so sick of that song, including its frequent NFL Sunday airings.

O’ Jays- “Love Train” was my vote!

Every time I look at these polls, I’m reminded of horrible songs I had blissfully forgotten. This time, the songs are “The Morning After” and “Killing me Softly”.

Any list of songs that contains “You’re So Vain” can’t be taken seriously. I admit that there are a few songs this year that I’m totally unfamiliar with, but after some scrutiny, I ended up with “You Are the Sunshine of My Life.”

Superstition whips every other song’s buttocks here. There are a few I’ve never heard or only heard a handful of times (e.g., Delta Dawn,) and I assume there’s a good reason for that.

Toss me in with the Superstition crowd. Stevie delivers one of the all time great funky grooves on that one.

But there’s still some great, goofy pop songs that could win my heart here, too.

Well, I’m the single vote for “Photograph” and I’m OK with that. “Angie” was a close second for me, followed by “Time in a Bottle.”

We haven’t hit the sucky years yet…

Another year with two of my personal favourites: Time in a bottle, ahead of Angie.

I liked a lot of those songs and figured “Superstition” would be the clear winner, then I saw “Time in a Bottle” at the bottom. I was obsessed with Jim Croce. I had the album and knew all the songs by heart, so I went with my sentimental favorite, “Time in a Bottle”.

I like almost all of these songs, I don’t give a damn if they’re “bad”. I had to give it to You’re So Vain because of the great lyrics and it’s fun to sing (admittedly not as fun as Delta Dawn, Maserschmidt).

A number of fun songs on the list but few truly all-time great ones. I almost went with “Superstition”, briefly considered “Love Train” and GFR’s “American Band” but ultimately went with “Let’s Get it On” - easily one of the top 5 sexiest songs of all time; maybe THE sexiest.

After the previous year’s was the first Beatle-free list since 1963, this time three of the Fabs–plus honorary Beatle Billy Preston–made the grade. Lennon failed to complete the cycle with his dreary “Mind Games,” which stalled at #18. No matter; “Superstition” is easily the best of this lot.