Best #1 single of the year retrospective: 1973

There are some very good songs on the list, but, really, “Superstition” was an easy choice.

Roberta Flack - Killing Me Softly With His Song

I could have voted for Angie, too (pretty much the only Stones song that I like) but Roberta Flack it is.

Went with the Silver Fox, because I know he won’t get that many damn votes, and this fact makes me quite sad.

Almost went with (in descending order of greatness):

“Superstition”
“Midnight Train to Georgia”
“Time in a Bottle”
“Frankenstein”

I eagerly await the 1974 installment.

I was 15 in 1973, and while I realise that Superstition is a much worthy contender, for this year I went with my “it still makes me happy and want to dance like I’m 15 again when I hear it” vote.

Sir Elton John’s Crocodile Rock. :slight_smile:

By 1973 it had been just shy of 20 years since rock & roll came into its own, so it was just far enough in the past for people in their 30s to be nostalgic about when rock was young and they had a gold Chevy and some old blue jeans and a dance they really thought would last.

Wow, I didn’t know I had a doppleganger. This is exactly what I would have posted if Les Espaces Du Sommeil hadn’t beaten me to it.

I’ll brave the scorn and say that back in '70’s, I loved The Carpenters, and still enjoy them. Karen Carpenter’s voice had a vulnerability that touched my then-adolescent soul. Listening to it now, their music sounds over-produced and over-glossy; but for all that, I think there was some real vocal talent underneath all the soft focus. A record producer once told me, “You can’t polish a turd.”

No need to apologize - Karen Carpenter had one of the best voices around. Now, Top of the World ain’t one of their best, but she was wonderful.

Superstition - as mentioned in many other threads, he wrote it for Jeff Beck, but liked it so much he recorded it himself. And that 70’s clavinet funk tone for the riff holds up so damn well.

Here’s Wonder and Beck playing it at the Rock Hall anniversary concert in Madison Square Garden: - YouTube

WHAT AN AWFUL YEAR! This is what caused me to start a thread asking if the '70s was the worst decade. However, it did have The Pips.

Superstition could take a whole 70’s poll for me, really.

Even though this is awesome, I was a bit disappointed that it was Jeff Beck to whom you were referring.

Anyway, I gave my vote to George Harrison’s Give me Love (Give Me Peace on Earth). I’m a little surprised this one’s not doing much in the poll.
mmm

“Superstition” was an easy choice, especially after reading the OP’s direction to vote for the “best song.” I’ve noticed that in some of your other song-year polls you have asked for the “best single” or some other wording. That figures in not only the song, but the performance, production, and many other factors, which for this year had me giving heavy consideration to “Tie a Yellow Ribbon,” which was a cultural phenomenon that cannot be underestimated.

Even more than 40 years later, the symbol of a yellow ribbon is arguably as evocative as a smiley face or a peace sign was in the sixties. Hokey song, cheesy performance, record for the ages. I still went with “Superstition,” but on a technicality.

Large sample of competitors, with some that you wonder how they got to number one and some weak showings from otherwise top acts. Still a transitional period. But OTOH there’s something like Superstition, blowing away everyone else.

Respect and props due as well to Carly, Roberta, Marvin, Ringo and Jim.

It looks like Superstition is clearly winning this poll and it’s not surprising: that riff is a killer. Inticate and with an amazing groove. But the problem for me is that the rest of the song doesn’t work so well. It is very good but after that riff, it’s a bit of let-down.

Killing Me Softly With His Song works better as a whole IMHO.

@Slow Moving Vehicle :wink: .

It has to be You’re So Vain because Carly Simon’s nipples on the album cover inspired me to ask a girl to dance, and she said Yes. (Although Boys in the Trees was a better album overall.)

Although the rest of the list suggests that music in the 70s was both a symptom of, and a reaction to, drug abuse.

Regards,
Shodan

Motivated by a true-life event, I chose Charlie Rich’s The Most Beautiful Girl - a bit after the song came out, my girlfriend decided I wasn’t boyfriend material (I wasn’t).
Ringo Starr’s Photograph also fit my teenage melancholy.
There are songs I liked better in the year but those 2 take me back to a time & place.

Youre so vain is a great song… though Im annoyed by the constant fluff about who its about 9Obviously Warren Beaty… come on son!!)
Love Train… superstition are classics… had to go with Gladys… its the defining song of their career… and she sings the HELL outta that song. My parents wore it out… but even today I can hear her… She owned that song…

Not even a ghost of a contest this time. Steve Wonder’s “Superstition” is the greatest #1 hit of all time. Lots of good tunes this year, but they all fade to nothing before the awesomeness that is “Superstition.”

Damn, is something wrong with this poll. How can Superstition be SOOO far ahead.

Anyway, I think Let’s Get It On is the most timeless classic in that list.

Yeah, makes me feel bad for not really liking it.