Best Action Sequence in Star Wras

There is another thread specifically about lightsabers, but I wanted to broaden that a bit and ask about action sequences overall: fighter battles, lightsaber duels, etc.

For me #1 will always be the original assault on the Death Star in EP IV. Wonderfully paced, full of action and tension, I still get chills when I watch it. Second would have to be the opening battle of EP V on Hoth. I loved seeing those Walkers for the first time.

**Fighter battles: **Assault on the first Death Star. Close second goes to the Battle of Hoth. Third is the massive fleet action in Return of the Jedi, which manages with inferior technology to seem far more real than the similar one at the start of Revenge of the Sith, thanks to almost entirely to superior direction.

Lightsaber battles: Luke vs. Darth Vader in ESB. No contest. Vader is absolutely terrifying as he literally beats the shit out of Luke, and then follows it up with the pivotal moment of the film. Second place goes to the sequel, Luke vs. Darth Vader in RotJ as the Emperor watches on. Both of these fights have an intensity that no amount of martial arts tricks could mimic. Third place goes to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul, which combines the acrobatics of the prequel fights with some awesome character beats (particularly the moment in the force fields when Qui-Gon meditates as Maul paces impatiently).

The Battle of Hoth. Great effects, great vehicles, great score, + Wedge, lightsaber action, and Rebel carnage.

Forgot to mention: Honorable Mention goes to the Anakin/Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku fight in Attack of the Clones. By eschewing CGI almost entirely, and framing the fight in close-up, lit only by the spinning lightsaber blades, Lucas created an atmosphere quite unmatched in the computer-generated leaps and twirls of the fights in Revenge of the Sith.

The pod race was pretty cool, except that damn kid kept getting in the shot.

The asteroid scene from ESB. One of my favorites scenes of all time, Star Wars or otherwise.

The special effects are incredible. The way the Millenium Falcon twists and turns between the asteroids has a musical, lyrical tone to it. It just looks beautiful flying through space.

There’s actually a sense of urgency with the Tie fighters chasing them.

And it has my favorite piece of music from all the movies throughout it.

And who won?

^ :dubious: ^

I think that the fleet battle in RotJ was the best, overall. The RofS fleet action was way too “busy,” and most of the details just get swamped and buried.

Second would be the original Death Star attack in Ep. IV, followed by the Asteroid Chase sequence in TESB.

Trivia question: In that battle, which type of Rebel fighter kicks the most TIE fighter booty, as evidenced on-screen?

I’m gonna go with B-Wing, which is one of the coolest fighter designs ever.

Nope. We don’t actually see the B-Wings do anything in that battle. Not to say that they didn’t; we just don’t see it. I think there was a scene cut from the movie in which B-Wings pretty much destroy a Star Destroyer, and do some kind of “victory roll” as they fly away from the exploding wreck. But we never see it.

Answer: The Y-Wing.

I really hope LucasArts does an update of X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter for the PC with all those proto-X-Wings and -TIEs from RotS.

Hmm, now that you mention it B-Wings did seem to be designed as heavy bombers, at least as portrayed in the games. I did a fair job dogfighting with it though.