Best and worst Olympic events to watch

Best: Woman’s beach volleyball.

Worst. Or perhaps just the oddest. I don’t know what it is called but there are 5 women throwing Hula Hoops into the air.

That event you describe as “worst” is team rhythmic gymnastics.

I have always felt that the oddest looking sport, except for curling is race walking.

I found it amusing that one day during the last Olympics there was a windy, chilly day and the women were wearing sweatsuits while playing beach volleyball. The stands were nearly empty – the spectators you might expect to watch had moved indoors to watch women’s gymnastics.

Playing catch with hula hoops while occasionally passing a baton around … They give Olympic medals for that? WTF?

Most women’s sports are unwatchable but I’ll go with women’s boxing as the worst to watch.

For the best, I’ll go with men’s handball. I’ve really gotten hooked on this sport.

Synchronized swimming is right down there with rhythmic gymnastics. Diving is excruciatingly boring too.

I really enjoy velodrome cycling.

My least favourite Olympic viewing experience was probably watching half a dozen (hyperbole?) false starts in a row for a sprinting event. I also find diving kind of dull; it’s hard for me to get worked up over minimizing water splash.

I sometimes enjoy watching sports like freestyle skiing/snowboarding/BMX where they do a bunch of flashy tricks.

Handball is really good. I’d say Indoor Volleyball as well (the men’s final today was a lot of fun), as far as “non-mainstream” sports.

Weightlifting is pretty dull, IMO.

Fencing should be right up my alley but I feel like everything happens too fast and is too technical to really be enjoyed on TV. I end up just watching the lights to try to figure out what happened.

I enjoyed watching épée; foil and sabre, not so much. (Presumably because, as you put it, of the whole figure-out-what-happened factor.)

Well, they pick things up and put them down.

Based on recommendations on this site, I watched several handball matches. I’m certain it would help to know all the rules, but I really couldn’t get into this sport. I know a team cannot ‘stall’, but I don’t know what constitutes this infraction. I was thinking maybe a shot clock would be a better alternative?

Oh, well, I only see this sport once every four years.

One thing I have not seen mentioned in any of the Olympic threads is the rock climbing. I know it is difficult but it still reminds me of those shows where the competitors have to run the obstacle course.

I’ll go with twirling the streamer. Get yer mind out of the gutter!

Hell, it’s not even that good! They pick things up then drop 'em.

What a shame that your hatred of women prevents you from enjoying half the Olympics. I’ve loved rooting on American women to golds in beach volleyball, water polo, gymnastics, and hopefully, basketball and volleyball. Nearly 60% of American medals have been won by women.

US women are dominating medal count at Tokyo Olympics in ways they’ve never done before

If jumping to conclusions were an Olympic event, you just won gold.

mmm

@Helena330 's conclusion is correct and is based on the poster’s history, not just the one post.

replying to post right above

You’re unfamiliar with dalej42?

Moderating:

This is not my forum, but I’m sure a Game Room mod will be along shortly to deal with the unpleasant direction this thread has taken. Until then, I’m locking it.

[Moderating]

And here’s a Game Room mod. This is a thread about opinions on sports. @dalej42 gave his opinion, and by all indications it is a sincerely held opinion, therefore it is a valid part of this discussion. If you wish to make this personal, that belongs in the BBQ Pit. All further discussion of this matter is out of bounds for this thread: It’s supposed to be about Olympic sports, not about one poster. Any further discussion of @dalej42’s attitudes towards women in this thread will result in Warnings.