Best area to stay / best things to see in Buenos Aires...

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for a short stay in Buenos Aires? We are passing through on the way south (tour of Patagonia & Tierra del Fuego) and only really have a two days in the city, at the end of next month (April). Ideally we would like to be in a quirky, boutique hotel with a bit of Argentine character, in an area with some vibrancy and interest, but also handy to get to the main sights (like Casa Rosada or the Colón Theatre etc…) I’m thinking San Telmo area would be good, also being close to la Boca and the Caminito Street museum and local markets, although the books I have seem to push Palermo as the nicest area for tourists to stay. We fly into the International airport (Ezeiza) and out again from the domestic (Jorge Newbery), so anywhere in the central area between the two suits us well.

So, if you can help with ideas of what to see and the best area to stay in, or can help with a bit of local knowledge that could enliven our stay, this would be much appreciated. Thanks all.

Sorry I can’t be more specific, it’s been a few years…I love the cafe culture in BA, just sitting w/ a drink or a coffee &, staying out late & taking it all in. Great food laid back people, the whole 'Paris of the South" thing (hope you eat meat!). Barrio Norte, Recolletta, San Telmo, Palermo (Hollywood & SOHO) are all good for this, esp Palermo. Boca’s maybe a little rougher around the edges but still not bad. I’d urge you to catch a Boca Juniors game if you can, even if you’re not a huge fan, a unique experience!
Recolleta cemetary is very interesting & worth a visit, I thought, & try to catch a Tango show of course. I’m jealous, hope you have alot of fun! :slight_smile:
(Warning : Seem to remember dog poop on the sidewalk could be something to watch out for :smack:)

PS : If it’s any help, I’m recalling that the Tango place I went to was called Michelangelo Cathedral of Tango. You got a great dinner & show in a beautiful setting for not much money. Sorry I don’t remember the address but it shouldn’t be too hard to find it online or ask a concierge.