[Best] bomber ever?

And they were so good that Stalin ordered his aircraft experts to copy
them!

I saw the only working Vulcan fly over when I went to the local shops back in June; little did I know it was almost the last chance to see it in the air, as it has now finally been grounded.

Not the best bomber in the world, but those raids on Stanley airfield were spectacular. If only they’d had modern bomb-targeting systems.

It’s not that they were that good, though they were certainly better than the Soviet state of the art at the time. It’s just that they were there. Four B-29s had to land in Vladivostok after a raid on Japan and the Soviets were able to inspect them fairly thoroughly before sending them back. If they had been B-25s or Lancasters or whatever, the Soviets would have been copying those instead.

An excellent point.

Good point–especially for me, with F16s and whatnot being talked about here. I took a look at a photo and filed it away with a Mirage and 1967 IDF.

Like seeing the B2 and thinking more or less of that plane Indiana Jones and the Nazi had the fist-fight under. (Was that a fighter, bomber, or what?)

Also:
:confused: “SA&S”?

Several planes from the Enterprise, including Dauntlesses IIRC, were flying into Pearl Harbor that morning and were shot down by Japanese planes.

A BV-38, invented for the film. :slight_smile:

Joe Louis, especially in his second fight against Schmeling.

Boeing 767 …

I think it would be the B-52 as the all time best. It’s certainly the longest in active service and has flown more missions than any other bomber in history. Most lists of ‘Top 10 Bombers in History’, such as this, seem to agree. Not sure I agree with several of the others on this list (or some of the others you get links to if you Google the above), but nearly all of them list the B-52 as the number one. Here is a similar list from the Military Channel.

This raises a point relative to the B52 in particular, and budget allocation in general, certainly in the 60’s: designers wanted to go balls out for essentially a flying tested/demonstrator, and it was sold as a bomber, because nothing brought out the money than strategic protection, the bomber was king.

Which suggests that fighter development was short-changed, which is easily ascertained, which would prove me wrong.

It was mentioned up thread I think about the B2 itself as a damn good demonstrator, developed as such, usable (perfectly, however) only in special circumstances, and as a bang-for-buck bomber wasn’t/isn’t worth it.

Thanks. Interesting–it lead me to the wiki Horten Ho 229, which besides being named by Dr. Seuss, was reproduced in surface form after the B2 was in play, to evaluate its stealth capabilities across the Channel, had the Germans lasted a while longer. Wasn’t clear if it was to be bomber or fighter.

Apparently the most recent prototype was gathered up in Operation Paperclip. I wonder how much it influenced US flying wing design.

And it had a pressurized cockpit, which made long-distance missions much more comfortable.

My father believed that the B-24 was the workhorse of the war, and people loved the B-17 mainly because Boeing had a better PR department than Consolidated. Dad flew 50 combat missions in B-24s, earned two DFCs and two Air Medals, and only flew the B-29 after he returned stateside to become a flying instructor. But he really loved the B-29.

It was the official name of the British royal house, not just Albert’s name.

It wasn’t until the Gotha raids started that this became a PR problem the royals had to fix.

The B-29’s were never returned. The crews were allowed to “escape” into Iran but Stalin kept the aircraft. Stalin specificity wanted the B-29. He already knew about the A-Bomb and teh B-29 was the only airplane able to deliver it.
The aircraft were Hap Arnold Special, Ding Hao, Ramp Tramp and a 4th I can’t remember. They were all on different missions and did not all land at the same time. There’s dozens of web sites detailing all the particulars. All were eventually scrapped in USSR.

No love for the humble C-130. It is the designated bomber for the MOAB (mother of all bombs).
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=c-130%20dropping%20moab :D:D

Since all you WWII bomber-heads are here, this vid was just posted:–a campaign to refurbish the only flyable PBJ, the B-25 Mitchell. http://youtu.be/sIhdm7EI6zc

I don’t know why “Mitchell” – it doesn’t have the ring of Liberator, for example, and I certainly don’t know why it gets a shorthand as a popular American sandwich (one rated high on the disgusting lists of Brits, SD recently told me) although if I read into the Wiki entry I’m sure I’ll find out.

The Wik on the B25 has an interesting stat:
North American Aviation manufactured the greatest number of aircraft in World War II. It was the first time a company had produced trainers, bombers and fighters simultaneously (the AT-6/SNJ Texan, B-25 Mitchell, and the P-51 Mustang).[citation needed] It produced B-25s at both its Inglewood main plant and an additional 6,608 aircraft at its Kansas City, Kansas plant at Fairfax Airport.[5][6][8]https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_B-25_Mitchell

Billy Mitchell, the guy who proved that aircraft can sink ships.

So it too goes on the list, based on our ever-widening, or corrected, criteria.

Concerning B-25 armament. A 75 mm cannon was added, which father (who worked on then in New Guinea) said bent the air frame. There was a change over to a smaller cannon that did not, but I cannot find info on it.

Hm. You are correct (though one of the four was returned.