Best cheap way to get from NY to DC on Sunday or Monday before inauguration?

I apologize if this has been asked before, but what is the best way (besides Amtrak – trying to avoid spending that much) to get to DC from NYC on either Sunday, January 19, or Monday, January 20? We are flying into JFK airport on Saturday, and staying in NYC until Sunday or Monday, when we are traveling to DC. We have family picking us up in DC at whatever bus or train station we designate. I sort of want to have a plan before I ask them if they have opinions about trains/buses.(I feel like I should have figured this out by now, mostly…) Thanks in advance!

There a bunch of cheap buses that go to DC-- one I’ve taken (NYC to Boston) was called Bolt Bus (boltbus.com) and it was great. 14.95 to Boston, and they had free WiFi the whole way.

There’s another one that has a cute cartoon of a little bus driver as their mascot, but I can’t remember the name of the company. Their fares are dirt cheap, though, like in the single digits IIRC.

Thanks, that’s exactly the kind of info I’m looking for. Also, I meant to say Sunday, January 18 or Monday, January 19 in the OP.

Aha, I found the one with the cute busdriver mascot: Megabus.

There are lots of cheap buses that leave from Chinatown, but I’ve never used any of those.

I usually take the Chinatown bus between Philly and NYC – they’re not as nice as the Bolt bus, but I think are cheaper.

Make reservations ASAP – there’s going to be a high demand for seats.

Piece of advice: shoot for an early-as-possible arrival in DC. I live in MD, work in DC, and it will definitely be packed.