Best Compliment You've Ever Received

What’s the nicest compliment you’ve ever gotten?:slight_smile:

Bonus question: What’s the best back-handed compliment you’ve ever gotten?:dubious:

For me, it was a comment by a fellow SF writer who, when talking about a different issue, took a moment and mentioned me as “a man I respect.”

Backhanded: I was walking down the sidewalk one day when a man started singing “she’s got legs” very loudly. I blushed and kept going. He keeps looking as I walk away and proceeds to yell “but she ain’t got no back, yo!”
Of course my friend Arthur was with me and decided he had to tell every single person we knew.
Nice compliment: Too many too list here. :smiley:

Picture it - San Diego, 1975. I was in the Navy - one of several women working the midnight shift in our squadron. Back then, women weren’t serving aboard ships, and we never thought it’d happen.

Anyway, one night, I was talking to Pete, my team leader, about some of the women in the squadron who didn’t want to get their hands dirty. Pete said that I was the kind of woman he’d want on a ship with him - meaning I would fit into that working environment like “one of the guys” - really quite an ego boost for me. All these years later, I still remember that.

Backhanded, and not intended as a compliment: Ex, on her way out the door for the last time: “The only thing you’re worth a damn at doesn’t pay anything.”

I didn’t respond. How ya’ gonna’ answer that anyway? :wink:

I fear to say, else the ladies may blush… :wink:

Two of the top, top people in the puzzle biz were talking about me. One, who’d just met me, said, “I really like twickster, she’s really funny.” The other, who’d known me for a while said, “Yeah, the smart people really like her.”

Spoken at a meeting:

Director: “With Q(TS) taking care of our IT, I’m fully confident …”

Interlocutor: “Umm… he’s leaving”

Director: “Oh sh*t.”

“I love you” Not very original perhaps but definitely the compliment that’s meant most to me.

Funniest back handed compliment would be a friend of mine who’d spent about a month calling me while drunk to tell me he loved me and at some point tried to explain it to me like this: I thought I loved you because I was depressed. I don’t think he realised quite how it sounded.

Best compliment: “You could be in a toothpaste commercial!”

Damning with faint praise: “You’re not as creepy looking as Willem Defoe.”

Senior year, my high school football/track coach told me “I hope my son turns out like you.”

Backhanded one from a bandmate while I was still learning guitar – “Don’t worry, you’ll get by on attitude.”

Playing with my son, who was about three at the time.

It comes to bedtime, and my wife starts taking him off. As they go up the stairs, she asks, “Did you have a good time playing with Daddy?”

“Oh yes - I like Daddy.” In a completely matter of fact voice.

I almost cried. I felt like I had succeeded at making at least two people like me, and they were the two most important.

So far, they still seem to. So does the other one.

Regards,
Shodan

A year or so ago, I wrote a small book of poetry as a thank you to a group of friends who had helped me out in a rough time.

Received the following as a part of email that evening:

“Speaking of shining… Amy, thank you. I can’t think of when I have ever received such a beautiful, personal, and heartfelt gift. I read through your book at least 4 times on the train ride home, and yes, I got teary. Beautiful. Thank you.”

But the compliment that changed my life was from another friend, in response to a poem I had sent to my distribution list…

“Do you REALLY want to be a lawyer”

I still read that comment whenever I struggle with my writing.

I applied for a job at People magazine and sent in my clips, and got a letter back saying, “Your writing style is not really appropriate for People.”

I had that framed.

This is by no means the best, but it is the most recent, from my online dating adventures.

At least she spelled “grammar” correctly.

Two, only one of which still means anything to me (since Jane said the first one, and ATM, I don’t really hold her in much regard).

“You know what I just realized? How good of a friend you are…”

And (from someone different:

“Yeah, well, your opinion means a lot to me!”

Oh, and here’s a great backhanded one, unintentionally so. I’d done something rather perverted and creepy (email me if you really want to know), and one of my friends who knew told me this:

“Don’t worry, it didn’t creep me out that much. I mean… when I first heard it I thought ‘Yep, that’s Speaker alright!’”

Oops, I thought of another great compliment or two. From one of the harshest and elitist writing teachers/critics I have ever known:

“I know this was written tongue in cheek, but you could make a living writing Harlequins!”

It sounds bad, but the mere suggestion that I’m a good enough writer to make a living off of it is nice. This applies to the next one, too

“Oh, I loved that piece, I think you write well to your age level. If you ever consider writing as a proffession, look into science fiction.”

I recently took part in a perfomance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat; I had parts in a lot of the songs, plus a couple of my own solos, my favourite being Canaan Days, which I really put everything into. After the show, someone told me “you have the voice of an angel”.
Which was nice.

Getting a Sociology essay returned last year, the tutor remarked that I should submit it to an academic journal. Heh. It was a first year subject too!

Probably more exciting though was when I submitted the very first piece of ‘proper’ writing to be considered for publication. I got a phone call from one of the editors of our daily broadsheet newspaper (The Age) within a couple of days and after telling me that they WERE going to publish my essay, he went on to say that he had not been as ‘personally touched’ by a story in a long time. That was an ego boost of the highest order. :smiley: