Best Diagnostic CD

Hi,
I’m a Dell onsite service…guy, and with every Motherboard shipped comes a CD with BIOS flash update and service tag utility and a rather thorough diagnostic utility.

I own a somewhat aging Gateway (1.4Ghz :rolleyes: ) that I want to last as long as possible before I go shopping for another. I’ve noticed that I can’t seem to find a similar kind of software CD for Gateway’s that I have a hundred or so of with Dell.

I’m pretty certain the Dell CD is not compatible with my GW and I’ve checked the GW support site, but haven’t found quite what I’m looking for there either.

That said, is there a “Awesomer” Diagnostic CD out there? Maybe something computer geeks/IT personnel live by?

In my search I come across this “Ultimate Boot Disk” thing alot and several others on Ebay claiming to be “the best”- but I don’t do software so much, I’d just like to know what’s wrong with my other computer without taking it anywhere to have it looked ator in case something goes wrong in the future.

Since I don’t do lot’s with software, this disk has to be easy enough for a knowledable hardware man to figure out. I put OS’ and drivers on computers all the time, but much else is a fresh enigma for me.

Any suggestions out there?/ Diagnostic software favorites? Thanks in advance

What exactly are you wanting it to do?

Umm, Diagnose my computer?
I want it to cover the various anatomy of the computer: Mainboard, HDD, Processor, memory, screen, etc-etc… I want it to run tests on my computer until it finds something wrong.

I want it to help me recover my computer if there is trouble with it … isn’t there anything like that?

I like PcPitstop.com, and it is all online, plus it’s free. Pretty comprehesive, and it make recommendations for tweaks and upgrades. You do need ActiveX enabled, so it won’t work with Firefox.

I second PC Pitstop. I had problems running video from a second harddrive that I installed in my Dell Dimension 4700. I even went as far as upgrading my RAM to 1 Gig. But the video still ran chopy. I went to PCPitstop (Which I should have done first) and found out that my second hard drive was transfering at 2 mb/sec even though my primary was at 33 mb/sec. After, ahem, troubleshooting with Dell tech support (chat, email, and messageboard) I went out on my own and got a EIDE to SATA convertor (I later found out that the motherboards only has 40 pin and therefore would not support ATA133). I went back to PC Pitstop and it now transferred at 28 mb/sec.
[sorry to hijack]
Have you seen a lot of issues with overheating on Dell 4700? I installed (taped :stuck_out_tongue: ) a dual fan hard drive cooler to the hard drive holders and installed a PCI exhaust fan. My secondary (furthest from the fans) is running at 127 f with the cover closed.
[/thanks for the hijack]

Wow,
a unanimous vote for PC Pitstop, alrighty… any other votes? Just want a fair gamut.

As for the Dell Odaran, I have had lots of issues with overheating on the 4700 and not just this model. Apparently Dell botched how large the exhaust fan shroud should be (too small) creating a need for the MB to push the fan to higher Rpms. Most report the problem as a “turbine engine” noise. It’s easy to recognize a true case as you can usually hear the fan the minute you walk into their houses :slight_smile: .

Most discover that if they remove the side panel, the problem goes away. Dell just had to be different, I also do IBM’s and I own a Gateway as I mentioned before. Putting the fan directly ontop of the processor seems to work better in every case. Although I must give Dell credit as their case layout is one of the cleaner case layouts I’ve seen.