Best ending to a TV series ever.

I thought Quantum Leap had a pretty good ending in its own way.

And maybe not so much actual final episodes, but I also thought Deadwood and The Wire wrapped things up in pretty good ways.

Sopranos was very good. I was surprised so many people got mad about the ending. 3 months later series creator David Chase had to explain it.

Chase said Tony was not killed at the end

Bijou Drains, you have a cite for that? I don’t recall Chase ever saying that.

I definitely reiterate ‘The Shield’.

The Sopranos is a close second.

I’d put Sopranos as one of my least favorite endings. Copout!

I’d definitely second Blackadder as one of the best, though.

Even better, retire the topic. At least put it on hiatus long enough for some new contenders to air (i.e., more than three weeks).

David Chase on the fate of Tony

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2007/10/23/2007-10-23_david_chase_reveals_the_truth_behind_the.html

Every time I bring this up , nobody believes me, I guess I should bookmark this article

Maybe not the best ever but I just finished watching the series and thought the final episode of Freaks and Geeks was quite satisfying. Sepinwall wrote in his blog that Feig planned to give Lindsay a drug problem in the second season, so I’m almost glad the second season didn’t happen. Almost. That was a great show.

Will I be a complete philistine by saying “ER”. I thought they paced the ending … over a few episode arc … so well, and with an intelligent and interesting story line to boot.

In fact, I was a devoted “ER” watcher for the first 5 or 6 seasons of the show, but it fell out of favor after a while. And yet, I was rivited to those last few episodes.

Not sure if they are going for an 8th season, but otherwise I thought that the last episode of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” was probably the most appropriate last episode of a series that I have ever seen.

I agree. Particulary because of how unexpectedly poigent it ends up being. The Series, which had always been a bit of a black comedy, gets rather serious and dark and the main characters, who had previously been able to come out on top despite their situation, finally end up caught in the cogs of history. And you always have to wonder if that final plan might have made a difference.

Whereas I think we need a Constitutional Amendment to the effect that every television series must shoot a Final Episode show with the Newhart scene at the end of it, and deliver it with the pilot.

ETA: And it would have made for a much more satisfying epilogue to the Harry Potter saga, as well.

The Shield. Not just for the quality of the last episode per se, but the quality of the six or so episodes leading up to it. Writing, performances, direction… all superb and richly satisfying.

How can you all be that wrong? The actual answer is, obviously
**Babylon 5

Well … look at that … the sun’s coming up. …

That looks like the reporter misinterpreted what Chase actually said. Chase is never quoted saying that Tony didn’t die or even saying anything that could be interpreted that way.

Could the article be more clear - I don’t think so.

“Chase says that Tony ** did not get whacked ** , as many fans speculated when their screens faded to black following the restaurant scene that ended the storied TV series (and which Hillary Clinton later parodied in a campaign ad).”

The end of Cowboy Beebop was pretty good. Loved the last line.

I realize it gets a lot of hate, but I liked the finale of MAS*H

Forever Knight had a pretty good series finale. The last season wasn’t particularly good but in the last episode most of the principle characters were killed.

I am aware that the article says that Chase said Tony did not get whacked. Yet saying something doesn’t make it true. The article never mentions where or when Chase finally decided to reveal the secret behind the finale. It sounds like the author of that piece simply misinterpreted something Chase said.

I liked it too. I was a regular fan, but I had to miss the finale.

I actually didnt manage to see it till not too long ago. It was driving me crazy.