Best guitarist of the New wave/Punk era?

I vote for Tom Verlaine. I know, his style was unusual for the time, but it did fit in, and man, he can play.

What do you think?

I loved Greg Ginn, Dr. Know, and East Bay Ray.

Best? Dunno. In addition to the above ( Verlaine in particular )…

I liked D. Boon of the Minutemen quite a bit.

Adrian Belew during his Talking Heads run was always interesting.

Mick Jones of the Clash.

Assorted others I’m blanking on :D.

Second D. Boone.

Others to consider:
DOA’s Joey Shithead
Minor Threat’s Lyle Preslar
Husker Du’s Bob Mould

Andy Summers

I probably would’ve said Verlaine and Richard Lloyd, too…but Andy Summers is excellent as well…

Johnny Ramone is a huge fave.

Billy Zoom can bring it

James Calvin Wilsey, who started in punk but ended up with Chris Isaak for years is a slow, clean, reverb-soaked, twangy genius. The lead off that one song - the B&W Video with Isaak and the super model Helena whatshername - Wicked Game, that’s the song - just amazing…

Gotta go with my main man, Johnny Thunders. I’ll add Ross the Boss, James Williamson, and Wayne Kramer.

Well Mark Knopfler was from the era, though he wasn’t exactly punk or new wave. Does he qualify?

I’ll second Andy Summers. He’s just a superb musician all 'round.

I love Belew, but I wouldn’t count him in this group. Robert Fripp played with Talking Heads, Blondie, Hall & Oates, etc., but I wouldn’t count him, either.

I once heard Tom Petty refer to his early stuff as New Wave, in which case I’d nominate Mike Campbell.

Definitely.

Andy Summers, fo sho

Maybe. But Remain in Light has to be one of the quintessential New Wave albums. His career definitely veered all over the place, but if that disqualifies him I’d say Andy Summers starting his in the 1960’s playing for the likes of Eric Burdon is a taller hurdle to overcome :D.

For that matter Bob Mould and Bob Stinson ( another one I like ) are kind of veering into the “post-punk” generation, assuming we’re drawing such straight distinctions.

ETA: Love Billy Zoom as well.

John McGeoch

I’ll add James Honeyman-Scott (Pretenders) and perhaps Andy Gill (Gang of Four) to the list. If The Smiths can qualify as New Wave (which I think is a stretch), then you can absolutely add Johnny Marr to that list.

David Hidalgo

Honorable mention to Greg Ginn…

Dave Alvin’s done mostly roots-rock and blues stuff over his career, but he replaced Zoom in X for a few live shows and some of the See How We Are recording sessions.

Andy Summers
Daniel Ash
Robert Smith

Keith Levene of Public Image Ltd. should be mentioned. His style is much-imitated. And I think it’s fair to include Robert Fripp here since he seemed to fully understand the idiom.

Fair point, so I’ll vote Belew and Fripp as well. (Fripp’s work on “Fade Away and Radiate” on Parallel Lines is a great WTF moment on a fantastic album, and Exposure is arguably Fripp doing New Wave anyway.)