Best harmonies by band and song

I just popped in to mention a single track by Phish: The Mango Song. All of the verses follow the same rhyme scheme:

(four trochees) A, A
(two dactyls) B
(seven trochees) B

…and in each verse, “A” always rhymes with “these”, and “B” always rhymes with “size”. After three verses of this in a dense, almost barbershop harmony, they sing the chorus, and because they’re Phish, they do an instrumental bridge. So far, unremarkable.

Then they go into the last verse, and each band member* takes his normal harmony part, but sings the words from a different verse. All three verses are superimposed, but still in step with each other, and still in harmony. The effect is like a lighthouse in the fog: a dim swirling in the mist at the beginning of each line and then blinding clarity for a moment at the end of each line as the vowels align. The effect is really brilliant and is definitely worth a listen.

• …except for Fishman, who (for the safety of all dogs and children) should be gagged any time a live microphone is within 100 feet. Seriously, I hate to even mention his name because I’m afraid this thread will go flat.

I love the original version of “Leave It,” but I agree, the all-vocal mix is killer. I’m not sure I would call it a capella, though: it sounds a little synthed up to me.

Everything I wanted to say has pretty much already been listed, but yes, I’m a big sucker for harmonies too.

Oh, here’s one I didn’t see mentioned above: More Than Words by Extreme - maybe not absolutely top of my list, but some of the harmony sections in this song make my spine tingle every time.

Throwing my boys into the mix—Def Leppard. And yes, they do everything themselves, no backing tapes.

I second ELO. Excellent band, great songs.

There’s a version of this on their 20/20 album which, according to a book I have, “is basically the Smile recording with a few additional 1968 overdubs.”

They also did it live, as heard on their Live In London album.

Pretty much anything by Rockapella
Up on the roof / Don’t know much
16 Tons (listen to the backig vocals)
Of course the list would not be complete without a link to the theme from Where in the World is Carmen San Diego?
Even an ad for Folgers coffee

I’m almost certain they used sampled vocal tracks when I saw the Hysteria tour, lo those many years ago. That being said, they do a surprisingly good job of singing with the scratchy Joe Elliot though.

I’ll mention again King’s X. I’ll put “It’s Love” up against any Beach Boys or Beatles tune as far as pure vocal beauty. These guys can freakin sing.

Also by **Crosby, Stills & Nash ** – Southern Cross. This is probably my favorite song of all time. The harmonies are spine-tingling.

Yeah, I’ll give you on the HYSTERIA tour. You had to. I’ve heard them sing a cappella and whoa, they do a good job.

Veruca Salt . . . their harmonies slay me.

Boston. A great example is the choruses of “Peace of Mind.”

Queen. Plenty of great examples, but “Sombody to Love” is chill-inducing.

The Beach Boys’ version of “Sloop John B” has already been mentioned.

Journey could do some great harmonies as well. “Be Good To Yourself” is sweet.

I love Bad Religion, but it grates on me a little to hear the harmonies these days, as they’re so obviously “five layers of Greg Graffin and a little Jay.” Perhaps owing to this, BR’s live harmonies are nowhere near as ambitious. Give me the old days when every five piece band had at least three or four guys who could sing their asses off - and pull it off live.

Those are great examples of three- or four part harmony. For great two part harmonies, Van Halen and Aerosmith were both excellent.