Best harmonies by band and song

Well heck, as long as we’re doing YouTube clips, here are some from The Everly Brothers:

Love Hurts

Dream, Dream, Dream and Cathy’s Clown

('Til) I Kissed You

Wake Up Little Suzie

Bye Bye Love

The Flying Pickets - Only You.

On the proggier side of things -

Gentle Giant managed to combine unusual time signatures with some tight harmony.

Pure Reason Revolution manage to combine a folksy type of harmony while existing in the Pink FLoydish end of rock.

For two bands that never really broke into mainstream both King’s X and Galactic Cowboys did interesting things with Beatles style harmony and hard rock.

Alice In Chains managed to make harmony disturbing.

The Association were the equal of any 60s group with their harmonies.

Of newer groups, I’ve heard beautiful work a number of times from Barenaked Ladies.

Yep.

Everyone always talks about the influence of blues and country music on rock and roll, but I think the high harmonies of the Kentucky-born Everly Brothers are an example of the influence of bluegrass on rock and roll.

Although they’re a hard rock/metal(ish) power trio, King’s X has always had very tight harmonies.

Off the top of my head:

Kirsty MacColl, A New England
10cc, I’m Not In Love
R.E.M., Harborcoat
Alice In Chains, No Excuses

Steeleye Span did wonderful harmony (my favorite, in fact), especially on “Below the Salt,” “Now We Are Six”, and “Parcel of Rogues.”

The Byrds were another band with beautiful vocal harmony, mainly because of David Crosby, who has said he was born to sing harmony.

Stupid question:

Is the harmony any part of a song where two or more people are singing the same words at the same time?

Harmony.

Usually same words, same time, different pitch.

51 posts and no love for Rockapella?

Carmen Sandiego!

Billy Joel’s The Longest Time
(and all the older doo wop songs to which it pays homage)

It occurs to me that I should have included some examples of my own here.

Hide and Seek by Imogen Heap. This is the best usage of a vocoder that I have ever heard, dissonant harmony perfercted. Think she can’t do the song live? Think again.

Destined For Nothing by Bad Religion is one of my favorites. Sorry for the anime in the video, it’s the only one that came up. Infected and Sorrow, both by Bad Religion, have some really thick harmonies, especially in the choruses. Those guys rock!

The Journey song that was the impetus for this thread is Loving Touching Squeezing The harmony starts at 2:29, and is isolated at 3:43, very deep harmony there.

ELO is in a category all their own. Jeff Lynne is a man to be respected. Don’t Bring Me Down, Livin’ Thing, Strange Magic, Evil Woman and Turn To Stone are all harmonic master pieces IMO. That last video is possibly the best video to have ever been made. :smiley: Even if you hate the song, watch the video.

Toad The Wet Sprocket deserves a couple of honorable mentions for All I want (sorry, more anime) and Walk on the Ocean. Sorry, I couldn’t find a better version of the last one. Great three part harmonies though.

Oh, good! I get to be the one who mentions the '80s version of Yes. On the Rhino remaster of 90125 there’s a bonus track of the acapella mix of “Leave It” that’ll put you on the floor. It was originally only on the B-side of the single, but thankfully, you can get it on CD, if you can find it now. It’s hard to fathom that humans can make such incredible sounds with only their voices.

I third or fourth or fifth The Beach Boys. I hope Capitol issues a box set of the “Smile” sessions someday. It’s a pity that unless you have the bootlegs of them, you can’t hear them singing “Our Prayer,” the track which would have opened the album. Brian Wilson’s group sang it on “Brian Wilson Presents Smile” but The Beach Boys sang it even better. The hours and hours of vocal tracks they sang for “Smile” that went unused are just stunning. Brian would make them run through 50 takes or more of a tiny section of a song, until they got it right, and when they did, it was magic.

There’s a bonus track on the twofer CD “Smiley Smile / Wild Honey” of them rehearsing, doing an acapella cover of “Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring.” It proves that they were the best barbershop quintet, ever. This track gives me a lump in my throat, it’s so beautiful.

Todd Rundgren did an album in 1985 titled “A Capella” using only his voice, multitracked dozens of times. It’s not only a feat of engineering, but of composition, arrangement and execution.

If you like harmony, let me suggest two of the biggest sources on the Internet, Primarily A Capella and A Capella.com, formerly Mainely A Capella (It was based in Maine).

You will find hundreds of harmony CDs for purchase or download, in such categories as contemporary, vintage (back to the 1920s in some cases, but through the Andrews Sisters, King Family, Ames Brothers, Chordettes, etc), doo-wop, college, gospel, world, choral, Christian, and, yes, barbershop and sweet adelines.

And may I highly suggest attending a regional or national competition for the Harmony Sweepstakes. Regional locations are Boston, Chicago, Rocky Mountain (Denver), Los Angeles, New York, Pacific Northwest (Olympia, WA), San Francisco, Mid Atlantic (Alexandria, VA).

Imagine an evening of competition from 9-12 a capella groups of various styles with the winner going to the SF Bay Area for the nationals. Very cool evening of singing and more so in the lobby after the show as the groups teach each other “tags.”

Hint for fans - Primarily A Capella offers full-length songs from selected CDs, and A Capella-com has short snippets of many songs to listen to online.

For the record, I have no financial interest in either of the sites or the competition, but have driven 200 miles each way to see the Pacific Northwest regionals and it has been well worth it.

Some of my favorite a capella groups:

The Nylons

The Blenders

The Real Group

Throat Culture

The Bobs

The Coats (originally The Trenchcoats)

If there aren’t any instruments, there’s nowhere to hide; the harmony has to be good. Turn yourself on to the pure stuff.

I almost mentioned “Close To The Edge” because it, as most Yes songs do, has a lot of somewhat complex harmonies. The a Capella version of “Leave It” is certainly impressive, and has depth, but seems to lack something in the richness department. I’m a HUGE YES fan, so I’m not playing favorites here.

Well this is off the top ten for sure, but Fruit is an Australian band I like that fits. The 3 front women all write sing and play, they do some harmonies that are sweet, the 2nd clip has pretty crappy audio though,

Second page and no mention of The Soft Boys? Everyone* always picks *Underwater Moonlight * as the masterpiece but in the the Can of Bees lineup all four members sang and some of the arrangements are awesome. At the end of Sandra’s Having Her Brain Out there’s a round - not something you hear often in rock music.

All together now:

Bloaty's having his newt installed

*amongst people who have heard (and likes) The Soft Boys that is, which is definitely not everyone.

As already mentioned: The Flying Pickets! :cool:

Does this count?

The Beach Boys could do amazing things - “Meant for You”, “Keep and Eye on Summer” and, if you are only used the hearing “California Girls” on the radio, get in under the headphones and listen for the harmonies that start behind the line “I dig a French Bikini”… “And you dream comes true”, “Let Him Run Wild” - they were the kings!
mm