Best live albums

Karl, you’ve already nailed it for me. I came in to mention Ya-Yas and the Allman’s Filmore. Then you go and include Young’s Massey, which I only discovered in the last couple of years because of Pandora and am inexorably smitten with. A huge Young fan already, this recording stops me dead in my tracks every time a cut is played.

Nice, I’m completely on board with ya here.

WordMan, I’ll hunt Brussels down asap. Thanks.

Thanks, mmm, WordMan, and merickson. I’m purchasing the Lou Reed one and the Pete Seeger one as we speak, and then I’ll look for the '73 Stones thing.

Joe Cocker: Mad Dogs and Englishmen

Hmmm… re: Brussels – Shell out 180 bucks for the real thing, or 5 bucks for an “Amazon bootleg”? Advice, please!

Another vote for Rock ‘n’ Roll Animal, one of the best cuts of Rock ‘n’ Roll you’ll ever hear. Prakash John is smokin’ on bass.

At Carnegie Hall by The Dave Brubeck Quartet. My favorite cut is Castillian Drums which has Joe Morello performing (arguably) the best jazz drum solo ever revorded.

Sadness is coming upon a thread and seeing that all the good answers have already been given. :frowning:

There are still plenty of crappy answers left! :slight_smile:

Two of my favorites:

Judas Priest - “Priest…Live!”
AC/DC - “AC/DC Live” (at Castle Donnington)

Sam Cooke, Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963. Fantastic.

Wow - I don’t know. It was streamed on the website Wolfgang’s Vault a few years ago and a friend saw it and burned a copy for himself and for me. I guess that would suggest it was the bootleg since it was prior to the official release. It sounds really great.

Wishbone Ash “Live Dates” [the first one]. After 40 years I’m still listening to it.

I’ll have to add my voice to the chorus of Rock 'n Roll Animal and At Budokan.

On top of that, I’ll add two:

Jane’s Addiction - Jane’s Addiction - Their first record on Triple X was their best. I’ve got drinks and hours of arguing for anyone who disagrees.

NOMEANSNO - Live and Cuddly - Good God, they’re so tight, you’d think the Wright brothers were siamese twins that had abducted a third guy and grafted him on to them and forced him to play guitar. Video of the first two songs is available here (warning: anti-solo). Watch Rob Wright work that P bass, it doesn’t stand a chance. He’s claimed to be a great-grandad, and living proof that if you’re too old to rock, you might be dead.

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

Misfits - Evillive

I vote for Cheap Trick’s “Live at Budokan” and one I haven’t seen here yet: Rush’s “All The World’s A Stage.”

“Waiting for Columbus” - Little Feat
“Live at the Armadillo World Headquarters” - Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen

Jimmy Buffett’s Feeding Frenzy has to be on the list.

And another: The Bootleg Series, Vol 4: Bob Dylan Live 1966 The “Royal Albert Hall” Concert

Doc Watson On Stage (With Merle Watson)

Yes, Nirvana’s was extraordinary.

And I must say I’ve never heard a live version of Sympathy for the Devil that’ll rival that from Love You Live.