Best movie you've seen this year?

Wow, you mean all that file footage (90% of the movie) in F9/11 was faked, and Spider-Man really exists? Damn, learn something new every day!
My favorites so far this year (that were released this year):

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Dogville
Kill Bill, Vol. 2
Fahrenheit 9/11
Control Room
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
Saved!
Before Sunset
The Corporation

No, I’m not, hence grouping it with Miracle and the lack of any jokes. It may not be an especially deep movie, but I found it engrossing and one of the most entertaining movies of the year. I don’t know about you, but I don’t go to movies to obtain a new outlook on life, I go to have fun. Now if you’re quite done questioning my reasoning, I’ll be on my way.

Dude, I distinctly remember being in #straightdope a few months ago, trying to persuade a few people - much to their annoyance - to go see that movie.

Back on topic - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I can actually say that it made me laugh and cry with no intention of sarcasm or irony. I saw it six times in theatres. I convinced my friends (in clumps) to see it. They all did. They all thanked me. More than once. An utter joy.

From Jim Carrey’s unexpectedly sublime performance to the powerful score to the brilliant cinematography to… I could go on, but I’d end up citing every element in this movie, because everything worked.

But the foundation for this great, great film was Charlie Kaufman’s aptitude for the bizarre combined with Gondry’s creativity and grasp of human emotion (something that Kaufman sometimes misses when he isn’t reigned in by a good director).

Runners up:

Garden State (Aesiron said it pretty well)
Hero (Unprecedented visual spectacle)
Napoleon Dynamite (Dumbest thing I’ve ever seen, but one of the funniest, too)

Well, considering that the only movies I’ve seen in the theater this year are Along Came Polly, Anchorman, and *Harry Potter … *, I’d say that my favorite was Along Came Polly.

Why yes, I do need to get out more often!

I think Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow will end up being my favorite overall, but Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Kill Bill 2, and Spider-Man 2 aren’t far behind (in fact, Spidey would probably top the list if it hadn’t been for some stupid little stuff that bugged me).

Garden State is up there, too.

And, yeah, I’m guessing The Incredibles will be pretty high up on my list when it comes out, although I can’t see anything knocking Sky Captain out. Loved that movie.

I’ve been singing its praises for the past month abd a few people have expressed interest but I have no idea if I’ve convinced anyone to see it yet. I’m going to keep trying though.

I absolutely loved Spiderman 2. Fantastic.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is at the top of my list. Garden State is a close second.

Before Sunset probably.

I also like Spartan quite a bit, KBV2 and Shrek 2.

Shrek 2 also got mentioned in the “Worst movie you’ve seen this year?” thread.

I guess there’s no accounting for taste.

Love, Actually.
A most excellent film. bit of a sleeper, I think.

KBV2 stands out for me, but I did enjoy Spiderman 2 and even The Bourne Supremecy. I’ve had Garden State recommended so many times, that I’ll probably try it soon. Who knows if I’ll like it, but I’m pretty easy to please when it comes to movies.

Jammer

Aside from LOTR: ROTK, this is the only move we’ve seen recently. It’s a bit too inconvenient to go out to movies being as we’re without a car until Thanksgiving. The only theater directly on our bus line isn’t there anymore.

I haven’t seen as many movies this year as I usually would. I am afraid that very few people saw Before Sunset. First, it requires that you saw Before Sunrise, and second that you could find a theater playing it. I felt it showed rare courage in just letting the characters talk in a rambling believable dialogue. I hope Linklater does this every five or ten years.

Second was Spider Man 2. Best superhero movie ever made.

Oh, and I forgot to mention Shrek 2! Another vote for it.

I haven’t seen too many in the theater, but I’d say Napolean Dynamite and Festival Express.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  2. Before Sunset
  3. Garden State
  4. The Corporation
  5. Maria Full of Grace
  6. Fahrenheit 9/11

Shrek 2 - after all the horrors going on in the world, it was just damn GOOD to sit in a cinema and feel free to LAUGH for an hour or so and escape from The Real World.

iRobot - I just love Will Smith as an actor and the film was pure easy-on-the-braincell entertainment!

:slight_smile:

Preach it Brother (and/or Sister!) Everyone talks about these independant flicks which are <southpark> just cowboys sitting around eating yogurt and discussing their sexuality. </southpark>

I didn’t see either of those movies, but if I did I’m sure I’d like them. I actually haven’t been to a movie since Spiderman 2 and I liked that one.

Shaolin Soccer not a great movie in any artistic way, but an absolutely great fun movie, with a heart warming feel and superb special effects for once not used to show people getting killed, but just winning a (admitedly very dirtily played) number of soccer matches. The humour is also spot on and the pathos of the love story just right.