Best Nickname for a Sports Venue.

AKA the CheckerDome…

When the Old Barn was ROCKIN you could FEEL it…

Go Blues! (fixed that for ya Swine)

Define “best”? I’m always amused by "The Big Owe"but it doesn’t have much to do with the sporting events, but rather the stadium itself. :slight_smile:
ETA: it’s somewhat uncommon, but I’ve heard the Bell Centre referred to as The Phone Booth, which I also like.

The Big House is the correct answer.

Followed very closely by The Corner (R.I.P.).

That’s what I was going say too, along with “The Rock” for the Prudential Center.

Do they still call the Cleveland Indians’ ballpark “The Jake”? It was derived from Jacobs Field but some corporate entity has since imposed its name on it in return for a wad of cash so I don’t know if Clevelanders still call it that.

Minor league hockey - the Columbus Cottonmouths play in the Snake Pit.

I grew up about an hour’s drive from the stadium. Never heard it referred to as Deaf Valley. Always Death Valley. Where the visiting team has to come out near Mike the Tiger’s cage. While Mike is roaring and otherwise being a tiger, and the home crowd taunts the visitors with the “Tiger bait! Tiger bait!” chant.

The Copper Box is the actual name of the arena constructed for handball at this year’s London Olympics. The Copper Box?!

There’s always “The House that Ruth Built”.
I also liked “The BOB” for Bank One Ballpark.

I’m partial to The Swamp at the University of Florida. It makes way more sense than some lameass name like the Big House.

I’m surprised no one mentioned “The Big House.” It’s the only answer. :wink:

I always liked the simple and understated nickname for Joe Louis Arena - “The Joe”.

Nominee for worst nickname: “The K” for the Kansas City Royals’ Kauffman Stadium. The team campaigned hard for the nickname as soon as they renamed the stadium, and it’s always seemed awfully stilted and contrived to me. Not organic at all as a nickname should be.

Lakefront Stadium in Cleveland - The Mistake by the Lake

I believe that you have never heard the term Deaf Valley, I’m just pointing out that there’s speculation that it went by that moniker at one time.

The stadium itself was no great shakes, but I loved it when Chris Berman called Tampa (Houlihan) Stadium “The Big Sombrero.”

Eh, I am a big Packer fan a you know, and the frozen tundra is just kind of stupid, because it is redundant. And did you know that John Facenda never said “the frozen tundra of Lambeau field”, Chris Berman made it up.

Well, the Flyers used to skate at the Rectum (although that may have just been our name for it).

I thought only my friends and I called it that.

Later, the Flyers played at the First Union Center, which we called the FU Center.

I’m surprised you did not read the OP before you posted to this thread. On second thought, maybe I’m being whooshed.

In Holland there’s a stadium known as ‘Lange Leegte’ or ‘Long emptiness’. Not sure how it got that name.

I guess I should’ve put one of them there winking smiley faces to indicate the attempt at humor :wink: