Best. Obituary. Ever!

Richmond Times-Dispatch

If you’re going out, do it in style. :slight_smile:

That reads suspiciously like a Dave Barry column I remember. You sure that obit’s real?

Rephrase: no doubt it looks real to us reading it in the paper, but do you think it’s possible the paper was a joke victim?

I’m guessing fake, sense it also tries to install a worm. Luckily Norton found it on my machine.

Looks real enough to me. I like it.
There’s ABC Stores in VA?

I think it’s real. Maybe the writer of the obit “borrowed” some ideas from Dave Barry?

Alice Rennie Clark looks like a real person: http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:QPQobrkPLIgJ:www.alphagammadelta.org/content/resources/quarterly/Summer02.pdf+Alice+Rennie+Clark&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=5&client=firefox-a

I can’t believe the Richmond Times Dispatch would try to install a worm.

And yes, Va has ABC stores - it’s the only place you can get stuff stronger than wine.

Ah. The ABC Stores I know are the Hawaiian convinience stores.

It’s probably a fake obituary, but why on earth would a reputable newspaper like “The Richmond Times Dispatch” try to install a worm on anyone’s computer?

Obligatory Tom Lehrer quote:

http://members.aol.com/quentncree/lehrer/alma.htm

I doubt they did. The link provided in the OP goes to www.legacy.com - not the Times Dispatch. There’s some sort of funny business that redirects.

Maybe it’s something else besides a worm. All I’m saying is that I tried it on two computers and in both cases Norton yelled at me. Maybe Norton is wrong. Still, I’d rather be wrong about my warning than have someone get a worm…

CalMeachem, I’m sing a waltz tune now! That was one of my favorite Lehrer songs.

As for interesting obituaries, there was one I read once in our local paper, that had a truly splendid last line. See, the guy died two days from his 100th birthday. The obit was standard up until that last line.

“The party planned for his 100th birthday will go on as scheduled.”

That makes it unique I’d say. I sure hope they’d have a party like that for me if the same circumstances came around.

Speaking as one who writes obituaries for a living:

Probably fake. Most obituaries that would have informal writing like that have to be paid for by the family, are considered ads, and are not shown on Web sites.

If it was a real obituary, it would most likely be in AP or Washington Post style.

~Tasha

If you go straight to the Times Dispatch homepage and click on “Obituaries” you go to a legacy.com page for the paper. I don’t think it’s so nefarious.
My guess it’s either a joke played on the paper, or a guy who read obits as a hobby or something and wrote his own with fill-in-the-blanks for the manner of death. (or a bit of both)

Real Obit. Period. The Richmond Times-Dispatch evidently uses the “legacy” link to access their obits.

Here’s a link to a follow up story in the Times-Dispatch.

A lot of larger papers use legacy.com for their obituaries; here’s The (Memphis) Commercial Appeal’s obit page.

tashabot, you’re right that the “paid notices” are written by the deceased’s family, who pays to have them run, but in many papers, and on many Web sites, they run right alongside the regular obits. On the Commercial Appeal’s site to which I linked above, if you scroll a bit down the page, you’ll see “Moving Tributes,” which has slideshows and audio and such; these are paid for by the grieving family.

Obituaries can be a HUGE cash-cow for a newspaper.

I worked for the Commercial Appeal’s Web site for several years (and still do, now and then), and used to get elbow-deep in this stuff pretty often. Everyone’s extremely grateful that legacy.com has taken over; the obits used to be a massive headache for whoever had the posting shift each night.

Uh, and since I got all caught up and forgot to make my main point there:

It’s real.

I may end up making myself rather unpopular for coming out against one aspect of what appears to be a universally-adored obituary, but here goes…

Although I am myself a lover of most things containing alcohol, I come out very strongly against people who advocate drunk driving. This part of Fred Clark’s obituary really rubbed me the wrong way:

I’m all in favor of the purchase and consumption of booze in healthy quantities, and although I personally find his comment on the French to be asinine, he’s certainly entitled to express his opinion – especially in his predominantly-self-penned obituary. He does, however, appear to be promoting drunk driving as a right that should not be infringed upon, and I’ll call him out for that. The fact that he died as the result of an automobile accident has a certain irony to it, even if this particular accident did not involve alcohol consumption.

One other thing:

It seems to me that buying booze so that you can crash a cocktail party is missing the point by so far that it ruins any joke that it might have been setting up.

[He wanted to go on a double date with Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter?]

I got the worm warning from Norton, too.

Or it could be that he was upset about laws which forbid open containers on the street. And as for the French thing, he drank bourbon, maybe he just liked cheap wine. :slight_smile:

My guess is that your settings on NOrton need adjusted.