Best of the Beatles: Let It Be

Mr. Chance, I believe the the title phrase is designed to function more as invocation than solution. Let there be an answer. Let the memory of his mom bring him comfort.

That it also serves as an answer is okay, since many times acceptance is the right answer.

I find it interesting that the two leading songs in this poll have lyrics derived from dreams (or close to dreams). Let It Be was inspired by Paul’s dead mom telling him to let it be, and the opening lines to Univers came to John complete in the night.

Not my favorite album from them. I went with Long and Winding Road.

Also, though this might be over-analyzing, one of the main things that tore The Beatles apart were two opposing traits of Lennon and McCartney that got worse as time went on: Lennon’s “Eh, that take sounds fine . . . we should move on,” vs. McCartney’s “Every single note must be played exactly right or else THIS SONG IS RUINED.” Although I could argue that their attention to detail made their songs as great as they are, I have to say: being a bit of a perfectionist myself, I can definitely attest that sometimes “Let it be” is really, really good advice. To me, it’s basically the same as “Take a chill pill.” (Of course, a metaphorical “chill pill,” though with The Beatles, well, you never know . . .)

I felt kind of bad not voting for “I’ve Got a Feeling,” because it rocks. Also, it deserves to be celebrated for bringing back the old Lennon-McCartney songwriting partnership for a last hurrah.

I voted for “Across the Universe” because a) I’ve always loved the lyrics better than just about anything; b) my mind can filter out the Spector crap, plus there’s the Naked version to enjoy; c) Lennon donated the song to the World Wildlife Fund.

“Dig a Pony” deserves mention for its kickass duet riff—although that’s literally the only thing going for it, and the song as a whole is quite “meh.” “Two of Us” is like “I’ve Got a Feeling” in that Lennon & McCartney harmonized together again like in the old days and they sound great together on that track.

There is a wonderful bootleg recording of them practicing “Two Of Us”, singing it in funny accents, clearly enjoying each other. I think the acrimony surrounding the LIB situation is overstated much of the time. It wasn’t all bad.
(I’m not talking to you specifically, Johanna.)

And here it is. So don’t say I never gave you anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGI0sx6KYs&feature=youtu.be

Phil Spector deserves a lot of credit for saving this album.

I’ve read the album was really unfinished. The Beatles just fought and bickered. Harrison quit. What they had recorded was not complete enough to even release. Which is why Phil was brought on board to finish it without their help.

I voted for The Long and Winding Road. Love that song.

As a broke student in the '70s I couldn’t afford all of the albums, but I had enough money to buy the red and blue compilations (on 8-track, no less!). Playing them from start to finish was enlightening, hearing how the band changed.

So my vote is for The Long and Winding Road, the last song in the compilation - it always made me sad to think there was a final Beatles song.

“I’d like to say Thank You on behalf of the group and myself and I hope that we passed the audition”
I’d say both album and film have a worse reputation than they deserve – they’re not great, one can understand audiences would expect much better, but they’re both to a large extent salvage jobs, and were it not for contractual obligation they might have just tossed the whole megillah into the river with little compunction and some of these tracks ended up in nob-Beatles albums instead.

OTOH, really, Phil Spector, you’re a wiz at the studio but the Heavenly Choirs were a wee bit too much.

Must agree on your appreciation of these. As has been mentioned, the rehearsal clips from “Two of Us” shows John and Paul having fun at it (on another video, Paul does an Elvis voice while John does Elvis poses with the guitar).

Re: the documentary, IMO the excuse for no re-release of even the theatrical version (never mind restored outtakes), that what is shown “hurts the brand” or is too painful as Scenes From A Breakup, is kind of silly. Everyone who has not been under a rock for 44 years knows that by that point in their career they’d had it up to “there”, that this stage in the band’s existence as well as specifically the Get Back/Let It Be project were trainwrecks; IMO there is nothing to be seen in the Let It Be documentary contents-wise that should upset anyone who has been paying attention. I wonder, had John lived, if he would have gone ahead and said “y’know, the reason we don’t want to re-release it is because it’s just lame… on the other hand, what will it take to get it into your heads it was not all Peace and Love and groovy times and it’s better off left in the past? Showing you film evidence?” (One wonders if by now he would have mellowed about embracing the Beatles legacy.)